Seven Pounds | Teen Ink

Seven Pounds MAG

February 17, 2009
By Kristin Glastad SILVER, Heath, Texas
Kristin Glastad SILVER, Heath, Texas
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

“Seven Pounds” is a movie about self-sacrifice and love, starring the incredible Will Smith and Rosario Dawson. This deeply moving tale, nominated for six awards, will have viewer contemplating its deeper meaning and captivated by its genuine beauty.

The movie begins as Ben Thomas (Smith), an IRS agent, visits a variety of people to collect their taxes. Ben is an ­interesting character who seems merciless when he criticizes and insults a blind meat salesman. However, he later helps rescue an elderly woman in a nursing home. This seemingly contradictory character of Ben continues for much of the film.

All these random encounters have the audience confused about the direction the movie will take. Not until halfway through does the viewer learn that Ben Thomas is really Tim Thomas, and has been using his brother’s IRS credentials. A flashback reveals that Tim caused a terrible car accident by using his cell phone while driving, and the collision killed seven people, including his new wife.

This tragic memory haunts Tim, and his grief compels him to seek out and test the character of seven individuals to see if they are deserving of gifts he wishes to give them. In this way, he hopes to atone for the seven lives he ruined. Along the way, Tim falls in love with Emily Posa (Dawson), who needs a heart transplant.

This movie has a bittersweet ending that will leave viewers heartbroken but satisfied. It also forces the audience to work to put the pieces together and even examine their own lives, unlike many current superficial films. The combination of extraordinary acting, moving content, and a captivating plot make the theme of sacrifice in “Seven Pounds” one to remember.