Seven Pounds | Teen Ink

Seven Pounds MAG

By Kristin Glastad SILVER, Heath, Texas
Kristin Glastad SILVER, Heath, Texas

“Seven Pounds” is a movie about self-sacrifice and love, starring the incredible Will Smith and Rosario Dawson. This deeply moving tale, nominated for six awards, will have viewer contemplating its deeper meaning and captivated by its genuine beauty.

The movie begins as Ben Thomas (Smith), an IRS agent, visits a variety of people to collect their taxes. Ben is an ­interesting character who seems merciless when he criticizes and insults a blind meat salesman. However, he later helps rescue an elderly woman in a nursing home. This seemingly contradictory character of Ben continues for much of the film.

All these random encounters have the audience confused about the direction the movie will take. Not until halfway through does the viewer learn that Ben Thomas is really Tim Thomas, and has been using his brother’s IRS credentials. A flashback reveals that Tim caused a terrible car accident by using his cell phone while driving, and the collision killed seven people, including his new wife.

This tragic memory haunts Tim, and his grief compels him to seek out and test the character of seven individuals to see if they are deserving of gifts he wishes to give them. In this way, he hopes to atone for the seven lives he ruined. Along the way, Tim falls in love with Emily Posa (Dawson), who needs a heart transplant.

This movie has a bittersweet ending that will leave viewers heartbroken but satisfied. It also forces the audience to work to put the pieces together and even examine their own lives, unlike many current superficial films. The combination of extraordinary acting, moving content, and a captivating plot make the theme of sacrifice in “Seven Pounds” one to remember.

saranova_92 BRONZE, Wallkill, New York
What a compelling review! I saw this too, and while for me the ending brought me to tears, it left me in shock....it was so sad that he felt it had to end that way. Overall it was just such a moving masterpiece, the kind that changes your outlook on life and acceptance of others

aj182 said...
I like how you structured your sentences. you made me want to keep reading more. I also like how you didnt give away the ending.

Sha-Sha said...

I Love This Movie, At The End Its So Sad When He Dies :( Woops <<< Sorry :)

But Its A Grate Moovie I LOVE WILL SMITH!!!

sunnyhunny PLATINUM, Litchfield, New Hampshire

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
-Ghandi

This was a fantastic movie.  Don't watch it if you're embarassed to cry!

hbeats4u2 SILVER, MPLS, Minnesota

My personal favorite quote would have to be; "Don't judge a book by its cover."

I also loved the movie. This review is perfect! The movie left me with a tear-stricken face. I absolutley loved it.

XCLover GOLD said...
XCLover GOLD, Sandpoint, Idaho

"I know I run like a girl, try and keep up!" ~Anon
"You only ever grow as a human being if you are outside your comfort zone." ~Percy Cerutti
"The hug is incomplete without you :3" NinjaMan

This movie is fantastic and your review was excellent. I cried for hours after seeing this movie!

Kaitlyn Wilson, Gallatin, Missouri
love this movie...bawled at the end

I didn't watch the movie yet, but you make it seem very dramatic and sad....:(I don't know if I should watch the movie, should I???

Cambei SILVER said...
Cambei SILVER, North Saint Paul, Minnesota
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I have to say you painted a good picture about it. I love the jab about "other superficial movies" and this is admittedly the first piece, in any category, on this website that I've genuinely enjoyed. 5 stars! Keep writing good stuff like this and more!

~*Sunshine*~ said...
this movie was sooo sad...i was balling through the last half hour

on Jun. 24 2009 at 6:09 am
GreenDayFan SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

"Every story has an end, but in life, every ending is just a new beginning."
-Uptown Girls

will smith is such a good actor

*peace* said...
*peace*, Redmond, Oregon
This movie was amazing and it may seem confusing but it had you so tied up in it, you didn't want to stop watching it.

ArleneNicole BRONZE, Porter, Texas

"You read too much!" Balbulus was always saying. But what was she to do? Without words she would die, she'd simply die.
-Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke

I loved the movie, and I think you made a very nice and accurate review. Great job!