Isle of the Dead | Teen Ink

Isle of the Dead

June 12, 2014
By Zorro8696 SILVER, Burbank, California
Zorro8696 SILVER, Burbank, California
8 articles 1 photo 2 comments

"Isle of the Dead," one of director Martin Scorsese's top horror flick recommendations, is a classic within the genre. Directed by the Oscar-nominated Mark Robson, it chronicles an unfortunate group who are forced to remain on a cemetery island out of fear of spreading the plague. Boris Karloff stars, known most for cementing the image of Frankenstein in the collective memory of cinema with his iconic 1931 role. On a similar note, Karloff provided the voice of the Grinch and the narration in 1966's "How The Grinch Stole Christmas!."

Karloff is known—alongside fellow greats Bela Lugosi, Lon Cheney, and Vincent Price—for horror roles. He plays General Nikolas Pherides; a stiff, indifferent Balkan War General who's sole interest is protecting his troops from the plague by isolating himself and his fellow characters. Upon seeing Karloff's image in the film, most viewers would be quick to jump to conclusions about the nature of his character. However, Pherides' cold demeanor masks a subtly benevolent presence in the face of death and dying.

The notion of the vorvolaka, a nefarious plague-bearing entity, is central to the film. An air of mystery is established throughout as more and more characters succumb to sudden death. It is at the end of the film, however, that this movie forays into the league of horror. The absence of color, the howling wind, the dark crypt, and the disembodied voice combine to create a stellar environment of hysteria and suspense. For a quick Friday night thriller (it's only 71 minutes long), "Isle of the Dead" cannot be beat.