Radio Review | Teen Ink

Radio Review

October 7, 2008
By NancyP PLATINUM, Aurora, Illinois
NancyP PLATINUM, Aurora, Illinois
26 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Starring: Cuba Gooding Jr.; Ed Harris

Directed by: Michael Tollin

Movie Rating: PG for Mild Language and Thematic Elements

My Rating: 5 out of 5 stars





From the very beginning to the end, Radio touched my heart and showed me to never give up until you reach your goals. The movie showed uplifting and depressing moments that inspired me.



“Radio” is based on a true story of James Robert Kennedy, a young black man who is mentally challenged, who goes by the nickname Radio. Radio (Cuba Gooding Jr.) spent his day roaming around T.L Hanna high school with his shopping cart of random items, until Harold Jones (Ed Harris); the high school football coach notices him. Couch Jones invites Radio to join him and the boy at their next practice. At the next practice, Radio becomes an assistant on the football team.



After several games of the season have passed, Frank (Chris Mulkey), a parent of a football player realizes Radio is a distraction to the games and to the school. This brings mix feeling about Radio to Principal Daniels (Alfre Woodward) and the board of education.



Cuba Gooding Jr. did a fantastic job of performing Radio. It seemed as if he was the real James Kennedy. Ed Harris also did excellent at playing Couch Jones. Both Harris and Gooding’s emotions onscreen brought tears to my eyes.



I give “Radio” 5 out of 5 stars because it was a sad and inspiring. It also shows you how to chase your dreams and to never give up. Being able to chase your dreams depends on your faith in yourself which Radio had a lot of. Couch Jones was able to put the fact that Radio was mentally challenged aside and to teach him. This shows that judgment in appearance is the wrong thing to do.