The Great Gatsby | Teen Ink

The Great Gatsby

June 14, 2013
By Sundance PLATINUM, Northampton, Massachusetts
Sundance PLATINUM, Northampton, Massachusetts
24 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages.
-Shakespeare


"It didn't follow the book," is usually a common complaint of book based movies. This is true in most cases. "The Great Gatsby" must be an exception. It tells the story of Nick Carraway, a man dazzled by the glamour of the 1920's, an era ruled by a backfired attempt at prohibition.
When Nick finds himself the neighbor of the mysterious Gatsby, he is perplexed by the extravagance of his living conditions, until he befriends the character in an attempt by Gatsby to win back the heart of the lovely Daisy Buchanan.
While watching, one is awed by the repulsively wasteful lifestyles of the wealthy people of this time. Blindingly colorful parties give you the feeling of watching a movie through a kaleidoscope. The warped values of the era that creates a setting, can be taken as both sickening and beautiful. striking symbolism is prevalent throughout the film. This is a movie that must be seen to be judged.