Titanic | Teen Ink

Titanic MAG

September 13, 2008
By karen_xo PLATINUM, West Chester, Pennsylvania
karen_xo PLATINUM, West Chester, Pennsylvania
48 articles 7 photos 29 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find us working."
— Pablo Picasso


What movie comes to mind when you think of compelling, memorable characters, spectacular visual effects, a fantastic score, and a beautiful, tragic plot? What movie has captured the hearts and imagination of people of all ages around the world? What movie has retained its charm and ­appeal for over a decade, and has earned a rightful place in cinematic history?

The answer is “Titanic,” the 1997 film that opened with low expectations and then astounded the public with its massive success. As the highest-grossing film of all time (until director James Cameron's “Avatar”) and winner of 11 Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director, “Titanic” raises hopes for moviegoers and does not disappoint.

First, consider an undertaking so daunting that many would deem it impossible: recreating the RMS Titanic and its fateful sinking. This task undoubtedly required much time, skill, and effort, not to mention a huge budget – at the time, “Titanic” was the most expensive film ever made. The ship's splendor shines throughout the movie and adds an atmosphere of magic that film sets rarely manage.

Another element of the film's success is the superb, talented cast. Most notably, Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet give commanding performances as Jack and Rose, the young star-crossed lovers separated by ­social class on the maiden voyage of the doomed vessel. They are cast perfectly; a better choice could not have been made. Along with the rest of the cast, including Billy Zane as Rose's wicked fiancé and Gloria Stuart as Rose at age 101, they allow the audience to join their journey and share in their emotions and experiences. By the conclusion, viewers feel very close to the characters and truly care about them, which is why the movie is so poignant and tragic.

So many years after its theatrical release, “Titanic” still has not lost what made it such a success. This moving, simply beautiful story about fate, disaster, and the power of love has proven to be a timeless classic and an epic masterpiece.


The author's comments:
I write this to celebrate the approaching eleventh anniversary of Titanic’s theatrical release. The film first opened in theaters on December 19, 1997.