Easy A | Teen Ink

Easy A

September 29, 2010
By Madison Fisher PLATINUM, New City, New York
Madison Fisher PLATINUM, New City, New York
28 articles 2 photos 2 comments

Most times when a movie is released about a high school girl, the movie follows a general path to destruction. Those movies are almost never successful because the same story is retold and it is nothing like reality, the jokes are corny, and any real high school girls can safely say they cannot relate to it at all. The movie “Easy A” had high hopes and a lot of potential, which it exceeded.

The movie, starring Emma Stone as Olive, portrays a high school girl who starts off invisible. The story begins to take a turn when Olive fakes a bad reputation to help boost the popularity of unpopular boys. Ultimately Olive is ostracized by her fellow peers and forced to right her wrongs. The story also ties in the classic novel The Scarlet Letter by Nathanial Hawthorne often as Olive imitates a modern Hester Prynne when she is exiled by her classmates.

The movie boasts a great cast including Amanda Bynes, Penn Badgley, Alyson Michalka, Cam Gigandet, and Dan Byrd. While the story may sound unoriginal, this is one of the few high school movies that really capture the essence of High School in its entirety. With its rumors, reputations, catty girls, and constant gossip, it could easily be anybody’s school that it is describing. The movie accurately portrays the double standards between a boy’s reputation in school and a girl’s, the fast spread of rumors and gossip, and the effect of said gossip on ones life.

As it follows Olive through her lies and hardships, humor was still present from the beginning to the end. The movie keeps you laughing the whole time, while also having you sympathize to Olive and cheering her on, This movie is a great light hearted, funny movie, good for anytime, that’ll keep you watching it over and over again.