Knight and Day | Teen Ink

Knight and Day

By TheGothicGunslinger ELITE, Lakeland, Florida
TheGothicGunslinger ELITE, Lakeland, Florida

"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Knight and Day is, as you'd expect, just a typical summer action-flick. Devoid of emotion, character, structure, and anything remotely clever, the film exists for only one reason - money. I'm surprised that the director for this film also directed the remake of 3:10 to Yuma. Now, I haven't seen 3:10 to Yuma in years, and my taste has changed vastly since then, but I remember slightly liking the film *for* its characters. Knight and Day, however, lacks in virtually every aspect...

The film follows Roy Miller, a rogue CIA agent, and June Havens, a mechanic and a girly-girl, after they bump into each other at an airport. After Roy kills the crew of the plane and barely lands the plane, June discovers the rogue's background and wishes to not be involved with him whatsoever. This is easier said than done, however, as the government soon tries to interrogate her on the whereabouts and goals of Roy Miller. Before she can respond, Roy quickly rescues June and informs her that, for better or for worse, the two will have to stay together until things settle down.

Does the film have character? Nope. The characters are as cliche and thin as a pre-adolescent's writings, and these people are virtually carbon copes of every action-flick character. The badboy action hero? Check. The romantic interest? Check. The bad guy involved with the mob and the government? Yep, the film's got that as well. Even Paul Dano, an incredibly talented actor, ended up playing the stereotypical techie nerd. How sad.

I'll have to apologize the shortness of this article, as there's very little to say about this film. How are the visuals? They're decent, but decent means nothing in a world where Avatar and other CGI-infested films remain as the most financially-successful films of all-time. Mood? Forget about it. As I said, this is a summer action-flick - it's mindless, pointless, and completely cheesy.

Overall, Knight and Day is more forgettable than it is awful or terrible. That's probably even worse than being of low-quality, because at least the terrible films will be so-bad-they're-memorable. See the film if you wish, but don't count on remembering it within the next six months.