Zoolander | Teen Ink

Zoolander

By TheGothicGunslinger ELITE, Lakeland, Florida
TheGothicGunslinger ELITE, Lakeland, Florida

"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm not a big fan of Ben Stiller, let alone mainstream comedy movies, but Zoolander is just absolutely hilarious. Granted, it's got some flaws like any comedy, but this has got to be the funniest role in Stiller's career while the supporting cast, full of fellow stars and comedians, only add to Stiller's bizarre and surreal humor.

It feels strange to try and describe "plot" for this film, because it's not necessarily about that, but about the surrealistic humor of the film's goofy characters. Regardless, I suppose a slight explanation of what the film's about/like is in order. In Zoolander, we follow the titular character/male model, Derek Zoolander, along with his rival, Hansel, as well as other strange and wacky characters such as Mugatu. The film is, admittedly, quite strange and one has to have the right kind of humor in order to appreciate the film. This isn't to say the film's deep, because it is DEFINITELY not, but if you don't understand something then you simply don't understand something - I can't help you there.

It's hard to put into words what really makes this film so funny, because the film is more of something to be experienced. The film parodies, satires, and relentlessly throws you awkward humor such as all male models actually being top-shadow government assassins. Or, perhaps, having to watch Zoolander go order Orange Mocha-Frappuccinos with his "boyfriends" while "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" plays in the background. it's just the type of bizarre and strange humor this review loves.

If I have any complaints about the film, it's of the forced-in sex/romance. Blah. It just makes this original comedy feel more typical because of how it brings it in because "other comedies do it too". Also, as with all comedies, some of the jokes may grow stale if you re-watch the film too often.

Original, hilarious, wacky, and just down-right strange, Zoolander isn't for everyone because of its odd-ball humor. If you can enjoy such humor, though, you'll find the film to be quite a treat.

8/10 - Great