"The Man Who Knew Infinity" Review - All Beautiful Things Are the Product of Deep Relationships | Teen Ink

"The Man Who Knew Infinity" Review - All Beautiful Things Are the Product of Deep Relationships

By Kevin_liu BRONZE, Chongqing, Other
Kevin_liu BRONZE, Chongqing, Other

"No Hardy, it's a very interesting number. It is the smallest number expressible, as the sum of two cubes in two different ways."

Great souls colliding together always spark off unparalleled sparks. ——Foreword

"You have in Ramanujan nothing short of a miracle, the man exceeds any notion of brilliance than I have ever understood. Forget Jacobi, we can compare him with Newton."

Ramanujan is undoubtedly a brilliant pearl in the history of mathematics, and even the word "genius" seems inadequate to describe Ramanujan. His astonishing numerical intuition left behind 3,900 unproven formulas, and helped us a century later to study cancer, tsunamis, artificial intelligence, and even black holes.

This is a biographical film about the mathematical genius Ramanujan. This son of India, who died young at the age of 32, had not received systematic mathematical education, let alone advanced mathematics, because of his severe bias in subjects, he did not graduate. So he had no background, no qualifications, and because his family arranged a bride for him, in order to support his family, he could only find a job as a copyist. But geniuses cannot be concealed anywhere, and his talent encouraged his superiors to encourage him to write a self-recommendation letter to Cambridge University. So miraculously, in an era when people of color were discriminated against, he gained the appreciation of Hardy, and then he entered Cambridge University for further study. There, he met his life mentor - Hardy, and together they explored the mysteries of mathematics. Later, due to contracting tuberculosis, he passed away at the age of 32.

When Ramanujan first arrived in Cambridge, he was more like a child just out of the mountains, with unspeakable wonder and joy, taking in the new world around him. The architecture of Cambridge is like a dialogue across time, weaving together ancient traditions and modern innovations. The solemn Gothic buildings come into view, their textured stone walls reflecting the traces of time under the sun; the golden sign of Trinity College shines brightly in the sunlight, like the precious knowledge that gleams like gold. Every corner is filled with stories, and every stone carries the weight of the past and the future. Here, architecture is not just a combination of stone and glass; they are witnesses of history, sanctuaries of knowledge, and playgrounds of thought.

However, Ramanujan's life was not smooth at first. As a devout believer, he could not eat meat; when his mentor Hardy asked about the taste of tonight's lamb chops, he could only agree very vaguely and awkwardly for fear of being misunderstood. In class, his mathematical talent was so dazzling that some teachers felt their positions were threatened; he was unreasonably asked to drop the class. However, what was most painful for Ramanujan was Hardy's requirement for him to provide the derivation process for each of his discoveries. After all, for a mathematical genius, he could write out formulas by intuition alone, which could not be wrong, so why derive, and why verify?

Ramanujan later told Hardy, "All the formulas are told to me by my goddess, Lakshmi, when I sleep or pray."

Hardy was both a teacher and a friend to Ramanujan throughout his life, and the most shining presence in the film. From certain angles, Ramanujan and Hardy could not have been more different: Ramanujan was Indian, Hardy was British; Ramanujan was a firm and devout theist, while Hardy was an atheist. But even so, Hardy still fully supported Ramanujan's mathematical research and viewed Ramanujan's actions with respect and trust from a humanistic perspective.

Gradually, they understood each other and also achieved each other. With Hardy's help and support, Ramanujan eventually became a Fellow of the Royal Society; and in the four years of living with Ramanujan, Hardy also understood that there was no insurmountable gap between theists and atheists. Because in mathematics, in the extreme, in absolute perfection, everything is interconnected.

I think that many years later, when Hardy gets into that taxi numbered 1729 again, he will remember an old friend from many years ago.

Is he dead? No. He has just been taken by Lakshmi to a happier place. There, every positive integer is his friend.