Review of Monsters University | Teen Ink

Review of Monsters University

April 29, 2024
By Anonymous

Mike and Sully, two best friends—and well-known Pixar characters—who actually turn out to have more differences than we thought….
Monster University by Dan Scanlongives a background story to Monsters Inc. Mike, a small round green monster, has always dreamed of being a scarer even though he didn’t fit the profile. On the other hand Sully was born a natural—Tall and large. Even though Mike doesn’t fit the type he joins Monster University and has a very rough start.
The graphics of the movie bring out immense detail. The colors are vibrant even in the dark. There's detail to every building that always catches your eye. Even though it's an animated movie the amount of details make the graphics very realistic like something you would see in your day to day life.
When Mike meets Sully for the first time he immediately starts a competition with Mike, which leads to both of them getting expelled. This is the very moment that Sully and Mike become enemies.
Mike is willing to do anything to get back to scaring so he decides to join the Scare Games. The only issue is he needs to be in a fraternity. The only one he could find is a group of four weird monsters just like him, that aren’t even scary. However, they need a 6th member to complete the team, which Sully offers to do. Mike hesitantly accepts the offer but in the end lets him on the team. The Games bring a lot of tension yet humor. The end of the Scare Games brings a major twist that wasn’t expected that changes a lot in the movie.
Monsters University sends a powerful message of friendship and teamwork. The competition hooks you into the movie as you too root for Mike and Sully during the Scare Games. It's a very wholesome movie with action yet compassion. We can see this compassion through forgiveness. Even though there are a lot of conflicts between the characters at the end of the day they come together and overcome their problems.
However, there is one change that I would bring to this movie. A lot of new characters are brought into this movie especially through the fraternity. It would have been nice to see these characters more and get more character development on them rather than just a comedic relief. Mainly, character development of the members of Oozma Kappa, the fraternity Mike and Sully were in.
Overall, this movie brings out all different types of emotions. It brought out humor, disappointment, joy, fear, thrill, and so much more. This movie is definitely a must to watch.


The author's comments:

This piece is about one of my favorite movies. I grew up watching it a lot so it has a special meaning to me. Even as a 17 year old I still watch this movie to this day.