Dune Review | Teen Ink

Dune Review

April 29, 2024
By peachring1 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
peachring1 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The movie Dune directed by Denis Villeneuve, is a great cinematic set in the future. 

The film depicts a well crafted universe and great plot along with it. Noble houses want control of the desert planet Arrakis, which contains a valuable resource which makes people stronger. The houses fight for control of Arrakis while we follow Paul, who tries to set humanity on a course that doesn't lead to destruction and war.

At the core of “Dune” is a narrative that examines themes of power, destiny, and identity. Paul Atreides, the main character, is in line to become the head of house Atreides. Timothy Chalamet, who plays Paul, brings intensity to the role, anchoring this film with his presence. One example is when he was tested by taking on pain. The more time he held his hand inside the box, the more pain he received. Throughout this we see professional acting skills in his ability to act like he is taking on harsh pain.

Villeneuve’s direction is amazing, capturing a story with lots of emotional depth and complexity. From all the spacecraft and advanced technology within the movie, every frame is of high quality. Examples of the high quality film are the explosions as well as when giant desert worms have the screen shake and sand flying everywhere. Also, no second is wasted to explore great world building. However, a critique of the move is the complexity of it. At the very beginning you have to really pay attention to all the characters and some parts are hard to understand because it jumps right into the plot. Going along with this is the pacing. The pacing at the start is very fast and some parts of the movie feels like the director is dragging some scenes. For example when the movie dove into the Harkonnens, the fight scene was dragged on and because it was shot in black and white, it became a hard watch for that extended period of time.

Overall, “Dune” is a great cinematic storytelling, combined with high quality visuals, and deep themes to create an unforgettable movie.