Coraline | Teen Ink

Coraline

By BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee
BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee

If the pen is stronger than the sword, what am I supposed to do when the pen declares a war?

For those of you who haven’t yet heard the news, Coraline is finally getting a reboot this August (2024). But for those of you who either haven’t heard of the reboot or just haven’t watched the movie, I’ll summarise. The movie, which is based on Neil Gaiman's novel of the same name, tells the story of Coraline, a young girl who moves into a new house with her parents. Feeling neglected and bored, Coraline discovers a secret door that leads to an alternate world that seems perfect at first, until she realizes that everything is not as it seems.

The visuals in Coraline are absolutely breathtaking. The stop-motion animation is masterfully executed, with every detail of the characters and sets meticulously crafted. The attention to detail is impressive, and the animation brings the characters and world to life in a way that is both beautiful and haunting.

The storyline of Coraline is equally impressive. It explores themes of family, identity, and the consequences of wanting something too badly. Coraline is a relatable and likeable protagonist, and we see her grow and learn important lessons as the story unfolds. The supporting characters are also well-developed, with each one contributing to the plot in distinct and meaningful ways.

What I appreciate most about Coraline is how it manages to be both scary and heartwarming at the same time. The movie is not afraid to delve into darker themes, but it does so in a way that is accessible and appropriate for all ages. The message of the movie is ultimately one of self-acceptance and the importance of family, which is conveyed in a way that is both thought-provoking and emotionally resonant.

Overall, I would highly recommend Coraline to anyone who appreciates beautiful animation and a well-crafted story. It is a movie that will stay with you long after the credits roll, and I believe it deserves a place among the best-animated movies of all time.