Review: Murder on the Orient Express | Teen Ink

Review: Murder on the Orient Express

February 22, 2024
By trevor-reenan BRONZE, Hinsdale, Illinois
trevor-reenan BRONZE, Hinsdale, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

"Murder on the Orient Express," an Agtha Christie classic, has returned to  theaters in a 2017 Kenneth Branagh film. A murder occurs in the narrow inside of the elegant Orient Express, establishing the backdrop for an enthralling murder mystery. Acting and directing, Branagh expertly creates a complex narrative, supported by an impressive cast, a gloomy yet stunning score, and striking cinematography. Some of the industry's best actors feature in "Murder on the Orient Express" as an ensemble cast. Conducting the group with flair and style, Branagh assumes the renowned role of the brilliant Belgian detective Hercule Poirot. His rendition accurately reflects Poirot's quirkiness and observational skills. Yet, there are many more excellent performances besides Branagh's. The cast is star-studded, headlining actress Judi Dench and Michelle Pfeiffer as well as strong performances from Johnny Depp and Josh Gad. Each of them contributes a special flair to their respective parts. Princess Dragomiroff, played by Dench, has a majestic grace, while Mrs. Hubbard, played by Pfeiffer, is a compelling combination of power and warmth. Depp delivers a portrayal as the mysterious Ratchett that leaves the audience guessing until the credits roll. The actors had strong chemistry resulting in an engaging dynamic that takes the movie above and beyond an average murder mystery. The film's creepy yet evocative soundtrack by Patrick Doyle acts as an overarching portrayal of the theme. The suspense and magnitude in the story is increased by the score, which serves as almost a character in and of itself. Doyle creates a sound  that reflects the tension and drama playing out on screen by masterfully combining orchestral elements. The success of film music is demonstrated by the consistent theme, which is both spooky and intriguing and stays with the audience throughout the whole film. There are some sparks of jubilant music such as during the boarding of the train, but Doyle seemed to tie in most of the score with the central themes of the movie as a whole. Cinematographer Haris Zambarloukos crafts a visual spectacle in the small cabins of the Orient Express. The film's photography highlights the emptiness and claustrophobia of the train ride while simultaneously capturing the glitz and glamor of the 1930s. A sense of mystery is increased as the camera wanders through the elaborate cabins and dimly lighted hallways. Setting the ethereal stage for the murder of Rachett. In conclusion, Kenneth Branagh's rendition of "Murder on the Orient Express" is a masterpiece that expertly combines an outstanding rhythm, an exceptional cast, and eye-catching cinematography. In addition to honoring Agatha Christie's iconic mystery, the movie is an extraordinary piece of directing. The audience is treated to a visually spectacular and psychologically stimulating cinematic journey as the Orient Express races through Europe.


The author's comments:

I wrote this review for a school journalism class about one of my favorite movies.