The Lego Movie Review | Teen Ink

The Lego Movie Review

November 20, 2023
By TyW07 BRONZE, Delafield, Wisconsin
TyW07 BRONZE, Delafield, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Lego Movie has to be one of the most deceiving movies I have ever watched. Looking at the cover, I assumed the movie was going to be an unwatchable disaster. I saw stupid-looking Lego figures on the cover and thought the movie would be corny or childish. But, after 1 minute into the movie, the humor and realism of the Lego characters, voices, and backgrounds blew me away. 

This movie wouldn’t have gotten to the point it’s at right now without its specific list of actors. Starring; Chris Pratt as Emmet, Will Farrel as the evil president business guy, Jonah Hill as the green lantern, and even Morgan Freeman as Vitirvius. Chris Pratts's voice along with Emmet's character development is one of the best voice roles I have ever seen. Chris Pratt is so good at portraying the emotions of Emmet through his voice. So, in each scene, you can relate to the character even though it is a Lego figure. Emmet seems to have the personality of a real person which makes the movie far more interesting.

Each character brought humor along with life lessons useful for kids to understand. One of these life lessons is shown through the way Emmet didn’t believe in himself at first and followed all the rules. After Emmet fell into a huge pit He went to uncover a piece called the special. After doing so, everyone treated him like a hero. He was new to this and didn’t even believe in himself because to him he was just a regular guy and shouldn’t have been chosen. But, Emmet came to realize that he can be whatever he wants to be. This really can impact kids by showing them if they put their minds to something they can do it and they need to stop looking down on themselves.

This movie also shows a relationship between a father and his son inside all of the raucous storyline. This relationship really can relate to so many families around the world who have strict parents limiting their children's creativity. A child's creativity and imagination can be the most powerful thing in the world. The movie is based on a kid's imagination as he plays with his dad's legos. The kid wants everything to be colorful and fun vs. the dad wants everything to be bland and normal. However, in the end, this only brought them closer together. The kid’s dad was never there for him. He was constantly stuck in a cage of strictness. However, father and son came to a consensus and now play with the Lego sets as a family.


The author's comments:

I'm just a high school student who works hard at what I do. I thought I could make this class project fun by watching a funny movie. Overall, that movie was The Lego Movie.