Scarface Film Review | Teen Ink

Scarface Film Review

May 25, 2023
By aisrani0654 BRONZE, Queens, New York
aisrani0654 BRONZE, Queens, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

In this picture we see the main character Tony Montana sitting in his office with a massive amount of cocaine. This movie is scarface. Which is based on the rise of the American Gangster Al Capone. This was released on December 9, 1983. The Film company was Universal Pictures. The filming budget was $25 million


Tony Montana, the main character of the movie, was eventually the biggest drug lord in the state . After getting the green card exchange in assassinating a Cuban government official “Emilio Rebenga” He stakes a claim on the drug trade in Miami. Made new connections. He controlled all of the cocaine that comes through Miami. But had increased pressure from the police, wars from Columbia , drug cartels, etc. 

 

In 1980, Tony Montana managed to leave Cuba during the Mariel Exodus. He was in a refugee camp in Florida with his friend Manny, Eventually overtime, he was working for a drug dealer named Frank Lopez. After wars and violence with many Columbian drug dealers in Miami. Tony was very impatient and was very cocky with how he was. Jumping into Frank’s empire and mistress Elvira. He made himself a huge target. 


Scarface dialogues have famous dialogues such as, “In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women”. It is how most people view life when they come to America, to fulfill the American Dream. The characters of Scarface play a huge role in the movie. Tony Montana, who is the main character, shows how he built and destroyed his drug empire in Miami. He had a very huge desire to get to the top stands for many immigrants like him to achieve the American Dream. The mood of the movie is very bleak. While the tone of the movie is dominance which shows a man who wants everything in this world. 


The influence of Scarface is very strong in this world, considering it is mentioned in hip-hop culture. It was more of a language to rap music. Which was the lifestyle / environmental situations most artists were in. This movie is based on a real life mobster “Al Capone”. The person who ruled a crime empire in Windy City without being touched. Gambling, robbing, murder, etc. 

 


I really enjoyed this movie because of its storyline and acting. Tony Montana was a man who wanted to fulfill the American Dream which was to become rich. Being an immigrant from Cuba to a huge drug dealer in Miami. He loved his family, his hardworking mom and his younger sister. He wanted the best for both of them, but his own mother disowned him and knew what he did. He didn’t want his sister to follow in his footsteps because he knew he was a bad influence on her. This was the way Tong could make money. Tony’s ego and bitterness led to him destroying his own empire and making himself a target. He did the best he could but destroyed everything with his ego.

 

 De Palma's Scarface movie received lots of mixed reviews upon its initial release and was criticized for its violent influence. But it proved to be a success at the box-office and went on to achieve pop-culture status