Bad Boys II: review | Teen Ink

Bad Boys II: review

By Nadirahhdz BRONZE, East Elmhurst, New York
Nadirahhdz BRONZE, East Elmhurst, New York

Bad Boys II was released on July 18, 2003, in the U.S.. 8 years after the first Bad Boys was released in 1995. The main actors consisted of Will Smith (playing detective Mike Lowery), Gabrielle Union (playing Sydney brunet), Jodri Molla (playing Johnny Tapia), Martin Lawrence (playing detective Marcus brunett). The film was directed by Michael Bay, and written by Jerry Stahl and Ron Shelton. Acting as a squeal for the original Bad Boys. Production companies include: Columbia Pictures, Filmflex,  and Sony Pictures Releasing. Containing a filming budget of $130 million, while making a total of $273 million world wide, almost twice the gross of the original film.

Bad Boys II exceeded my expectations. As the storyline consists of an adventurous and comedic storyline. I think most movie buffs sometimes forget that not all movies are made to have some sort  of underlying message that can/will change our lives. However in this case the film is a little more than a high intensity action scene with tons of irrelevant humor and mild characterization tossed in between. As in a creative way it shows the importance of family. The dialogue connection between Will Smith and Martin Larwence is what makes the film entertaining, as they are a great team that unintentionally create comedic scenes when needed. 

Two loose-cannon narcotic cops investigate the flow of Ecstasy from a Cuban drug cartel. Miami is being flooded with ecstasy that’s coming from Cuba through their drug lord Johnny Tapia. Detectives Mike Lowery and Marcuss Burnett are on the case. As they track the drugs to the Cuban smugglers, they find out that Johnny is involved in a bloody war with Haitian and Russian mobsters. If that wasn’t bad enough, there is tension between the two detectives  because Lowery is romantically involved with Burnett’s sister, Syd. 

The creative  elements of their film was definitely the dialogue, mood, tone and overall the personality of the characters. The characters had very different personalities. Will Smith's character was a rich playboy, who still enjoyed the party life, while Martin Lawrence is a married, responsible father, who enjoys a more calm scene. This personality difference allows the characters to have this bond that is unmatched. As the dialogue is mostly Martins character scolding Wills character, while including cursing and jokes. One famous dialogue in the film is “If I’m there know what it’ll be? CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG!”. This quote shows Wills character in a sentence. In a way he was good at his job, while fooling around. The movie had this suspenseful mood throughout the movie, having some comedic tone to lighten up the mood.  Throughout the movie the characters have tension within each other and one scene towards the end of the movie the main characters are racing to get onto American soil in Cuba, as they are racing against Johnny. Creating this suspense throughout the movie, especially at the end. 

I really enjoyed watching not just this movie but the other movies in this “universe” because of the comedic dialogue and the adventurous scenes. It was very funny when both characters would be in a gunfight, and start arguing with each other over the most stupid stuff. I definitely recommend watching this movie. 

Bad Boys II was a financial success. For its opening weekend, the film generated $46.5 million, making it the fourth-highest opening weekend for an R-rated film, behind The Matrix Reloaded, Hannibal and 8 Mile. It managed to beat out Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl to reach the number one spot.

Hello, I’m Nadirah. I am 18 years old and I’m currently a senior at East West School of International Studies.