The Giver | Teen Ink

The Giver

By 25cs01 SILVER, Goodhue, Minnesota
25cs01 SILVER, Goodhue, Minnesota

When I was in 4th grade, I was introduced to the book, “The Giver,” by my teacher. I was hesitant at first, but I read it and it ended up being the best book I have ever read. Somehow the movie was even better than the book. ”The Giver” is written by Lois Lowry and the movie is directed by Phillip Noyce. “The Giver” also won an award for “favorite dramatic movie” for the 41st people’s choice awards. “The Giver” is a really good book even though not a lot of people know about it. It’s a good movie because of the quality and graphics, the valuable lessons, and the interesting plot.

The first reason this is a good movie is because of its quality and graphics. For example, I think they picked a very good cast; consequently, I couldn’t imagine any other actors or actresses playing the characters. Another example is that over half of the movie is in black and white. When I hear about a movie being in black and white, I usually assume it’s bad quality or an old movie. But this movie makes it work. In the movie, the voices and sounds are very clear and not once muffled. This is great for when anyone is watching for the first time so they can understand it. Having good quality and graphics can help with demonstrating lessons that the movie is trying to give.

The second reason that it is a good book is that it teaches valuable lessons. One of those lessons taught me to not ignore my emotions. While I was watching, the movie took me through an emotional roller coaster. For example, when the main character, Jonas, starts to feel emotions for the first time; consequently he starts to try and explain them to people. It also taught me about doing the right thing instead of just doing what others want me to do or expect me to do. For instance, when Jonas was assigned a job and he didn’t do it correctly because it simply wasn’t the right thing. Emotions are a huge part of the overall plot; therefore it’s very important.

The final reason why I like this movie is the plot. One reason that the plot is good is that people always know exactly what the characters are thinking. They do things like voice-overs and the characters’ body language can tell us what is going through their mind. For example, when the chief of elders skips Jonas in the Job ceremony, a voice-over comes on and tells us what’s going through his mind. Another reason is that the storyline makes sense and there is a significance behind it. All of the valuable lessons and the work put into the movie demonstrate that they were trying to create something significant and they succeeded. One more reason that the plot is good is that the setting doesn’t change much. Some people would think it’s a bad thing but I think it’s a good thing because it makes the story more clear and understandable.

In conclusion, the quality and graphics, the valuable lessons, and the interesting plot make “The Giver” a good movie even though not a lot of people know about it. So, “The Giver” is a movie that not only teaches valuable lessons but it also is very interesting and entertaining to watch. The quality and graphics are great because of the cast, the black and white setting, and the volume. ”The Giver” teaches valuable lessons like don’t hide your emotions and do what’s right. Finally, the plot is satisfactory because it is clear, understandable, and important. It’s very interesting to see all of the strange events unfold. Everything that I talked about is why “The Giver” won the “favorite dramatic movie” award in the 41st people’s choice awards. I enjoyed watching this movie and I hope this makes you want to watch it too.