My Favorite Movie | Teen Ink

My Favorite Movie MAG

By TrialKasai GOLD, Partlow, Virginia
TrialKasai GOLD, Partlow, Virginia

I'm not special, I'm just limited edition.

There are millions of movies in all sorts of different languages all over the world. Some are old, while others are still in theaters. Some are well known, others not quite so much. While every movie is special in its own way, there is one movie that is unrivaled in the top spot in my list of favorite movies: Room

Room is a tender and emotional movie about a mother and son's love for each other in dire situations. The protagonist, Jack, is a five-year-old boy who lives with his Ma, named Joy, in Room, a garden shed in the backyard of a kidnapper. Joy was kidnapped at the age of nineteen by a man nicknamed Old Nick, and she and Jack had spent the past seven years in Room, never being able to go outside. Jack believes that only he, Joy, and Room are "real," and everything else is "just TV," including the world outside. However, Joy misses and yearns for the world outside, and upon finding out her and Jack's lives may be in danger, she realizes she needs to invent a plan to get Jack out of Room before it's too late.

Room is based on the novel by Emma Donoghue. Starring Brie Larson and Jacob Tremblay, it actively portrays that love and hope can stand firm even in the worst of times. I loved the viewpoint of Jack, who described his view of Room and later the world with a mixture of innocence and wisdom. Watching Jack adjust to living in the world helped me see my own world differently, so I'm more grateful for it. My favorite part of the movie is when, after their escape, Jack and Joy are sitting on the floor, playing with LEGOs. Feeling guilty, Joy tells Jack how she hasn't been the best Ma. In response, Jack looks at Joy and says, "But you're Ma." I think this part is simply beautiful because it's evidence of Jack's love for his mother.

Out of all the movies I've seen, Room is hands down the best. It tells a moving story about hope and love, strength and perseverance, all in the voice of a small boy. As Jack and Joy face the world together, you'll find that their journey will stay with you long after the credits.

This is the much longer version of an essay I wrote for a scholarship. The scholarship word limit was 300 words, but my essay came out much longer. I shortened the essay for the scholarship, but honestly I like the longer version better. 

I love the movie Room, and the book too. They both made me cry so hard. I seriously recommend. Warning: The movie is rated R for language.