Fahrenheit 451 | Teen Ink

Fahrenheit 451

December 14, 2019
By Anonymous

 Fahrenheit 451 is an enticing and intriguing look on an apocalyptic future world, taking place in the same realm as the book of the same name. In this new and dangerous future, books have been banned by the law and burned in response. Those that manage to keep books are punished, and anyone caught attempting to read a book would also be likewise published. In fact, firemen in this future aren't hired to put out any ordinary fires, or typically bursts that might come from a kitchen disaster, but instead are responsible for the capturing and burning of books. The government is determined to ensure that everyone is treated as equal, and this results in books being treated as objects capable of evil monstrosities, due to how they show some of the hardships of different groups of people and are filled with hidden political messages. Most of the population has never actually even seen a book, beginning to wonder what such a horrific item might even look like. However, things to begin to become incredibly difficult when of the top firefighters in the world has his whole world change. This firefighter, Guy Montag, begins to question why he burns these books and what the real reasoning and motive behind doing such actually is. As some of his childhood memories flood back to him, he quickly makes the startling discover that something isn't quite adding up. Someone or some people are lying about why books must be burned, and Guy has a need to find out the reality of what's occurring, but the truth might just happen to be devastating. 
 Fahrenheit 451 may come across as an interesting question to pose in theory, especially because of the massive success of the book of the same name, but there's no denying that the movie possesses none of those traits in its cinematic execution. The movie lacks the ability to truly make audiences think about the world and prospects of a future without books, and it never really creates that meaningful of concepts that ever transform into profound thoughts of philosophy for the audience. While there are some clever ideas that are utilized, mostly with the concept of having people actually memorize books to help retain their history, the film still ends up feeling forgettable and somewhat lackluster. It's nothing too drastic that causes such results, but rather it's the slow and steady build-up of the story that fails to really appeal to the viewers. At times the film becomes slightly difficult to follow, and it also proves to be incapable of creating captivating or compelling characters. The protagonist, Guy Montag, should be an immersive way for watchers to learn about the new rules and traditions of the futuristic society, but this never really succeeds on a fundamental level. 

 Fahrenheit 451 ultimately fails to become that well-executed, and this is a direct result of the lack of conciseness or cohesiveness that comes from the slightly problematic story and plot. The beginning of the movie does do a satisfactory job of introducing audiences to a new and exciting world, but the film itself never actually does that much with the setting, only presenting enough to explain how books are treated in the future. The middle of the movie attempts to progress the plot along, and while it somewhat does achieve that, it fails to truly create that difficult or challenging of obstacles for all of the main characters. The enticing ending of the movie really lacks having any emotion, drama or intensity attached to it, and viewers might find themselves not really being that invested in the mediocre conclusion that doesn't really accomplish anything out of the ordinary. The film itself is fairly predictable and expected, and it is also in sore need of having a few thrilling twists or turns to spice the plot up, which, unfortunately, is not the case. 

 Fahrenheit 451 proves to be a solid science fiction film, and while the movie itself is not phenomenal, it still has a few appealing mystery qualities that make the movie entertaining to watch. With aid from Michael B. Jordan, who does a phenomenal job of transforming into Guy Montag, the film does at least have enough strengths to warrant seeing it. It may not be an absolute must-see, but for those who are fans of the original book, there's no helping the fact that it is still worth giving a chance. 


The author's comments:

"Do you ever read the books you burn?" - Clarisse