Up All Night | Teen Ink

Up All Night MAG

By Abigail-Sterner PLATINUM, Mclean, Virginia
Abigail-Sterner PLATINUM, Mclean, Virginia

“One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel

There is something magical about mid- night. It is a time of ghosts and goblins, of slippers and spells, of chaos and creation. It is the hour between one story and the next — a pause as the old vanishes into memory and the new shimmers into reality. It is whimsical, and just a bit frightening — an hour for fairy tales and horror stories. Midnight is a mystery longing to be solved, a prologue and an epilogue all at once. Is it any wonder then that a collection of midnight moments would be bound into an anthology?” 

Up All Night is a collection of short stories taking place between sunset and sunrise, written by some of the Young Adult genre’s top realistic fiction authors.

Like most anthologies, some stories wowed while others bored. While the anthology itself was genre-bending, the tales that stood out are those that catalog ordinary moments. The ghost stories were nothing special — the shock and surprise held no value when I didn’t care about the characters — but the stories of ordinary moments were nothing short of extraordinary.

Though Up All Night was held together around a time rather than a central idea, certain themes stood out. I love how many of the short stories contained within had casual queerness. Characters were allowed to be themselves without their gender and sexuality overshadowing their personali- ties: they loved and lost as individuals instead of stereotypes. Especially considering how short each story was (under 30 pages), causal representation was crucial.

Since anthologies themselves are rather serialized, so this review will be too.

Never Have I Ever by Karen McManus was a disappointing start to Up All Night. It lacked any real emotion or shock value, instead playing with perception in the most mediocre way.

Like Before by Maurene Goo was a heartbreaking reminder of how not all friendships last. It echoes the feelings so many people experience as they close certain chapters of their lives and move on to better things. It was bittersweet in the best way and an anthem for anyone who has ever felt left behind.

Old Rifts and Snowdrifts by Kayla Whaley was by far my favorite story in this anthology. Though not without conflict, it felt like a glimpse into ordinary life in the most extraordinary way. Full of first love and reluctant flirting, I mourned when the last page was done.

Con Nights, Parallel Hearts by Marieke Nijkamp was my second favorite story in this collection, especially with how it focused on fan culture and the home audiences can find in creative mediums. Following a girl as she tries to open up to her best friend, readers are taken through three different outcomes and left to ponder which is the true one.

Kiss the Boy by Amanda Joy needs to be turned into a Netflix rom-com (a high compliment, I assure you). It had all the elements of a teen flick: romance, coming-of-age, a great group of friends, the end of high school, and witty dialogue. My cheeks hurt after smiling through every page.

Creature Capture by Laura Silverman was a throwback to the days of "PokemonGo." An avid gamer hunts for a rare LochNess in a game while meeting unexpected friends along the way. Frankly, this story was fine. Not good, not bad, just fine.

Shark Bait by Tiffany D. Jackson had the potential to be better than it was. I enjoyed the initial concept but found the ending to be unnecessary and rather random when compared with the rest of the narrative.

A Place to Start by Nina LaCour was short, sweet, and simple. It was very much a middle story, neither overshadowing its predecessors nor setting the bar too high for what came next.

When You Bring a Dog to Prom by Anna Meriano also needs to be turned into a teen movie. Following a group of friends attending a rather rocky prom, it was hilarious and lighthearted, with enough substance to keep it grounded in reality. The dialogue was funny, and the ending was swoon-worthy.

Missing by Kathleen Glasglow was my least favorite part of the collection. Simply put, it was unfinished, lacking any real direction or purpose. The narration style was sometimes third-person limited, and other times third-person omniscient, leading to a jarring and clunky read.

What About Your Friends by Brandy Colbert was fun. Nothing special, just fun.

Under Our Masks by Julian Winters followed a teenage superhero burdened by the weight of his identity as he joined his crush on a stakeout. I loved the dynamic between the two boys but felt like the superhero element was an accidental add-on once the main story had been cemented.

The Ghost of Goon Creek by Francesca Zappia read like a midnight twist on “The Breakfast Club.” Though the friendships the story focused around developed rather quickly, it was a sweet, albeit rose-tinted, version of what a gathering of classmates can become.

Overall, Up All Night was a mixed bag. There were some stories that I wanted to frame and others that I barely remember. Like most anthologies, you’re taking a gamble going in, but I can assure you that most of what you’ll find will keep you “up all night” reading.

TessaDreamAuthor_3000 PLATINUM, Tomball, Texas

"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." - Dolly Parton
" Balance your life with spiritual experiences that remind and prepare you for continued, daily ministering to others." - M. Russell Ballard
"Love is expressed in a smile, a wave, a kind comment, a compliment." - Thomas S. Monson

This sounds like an amazing collection! Do you know where I can possibly get this? Also, your words in the review, DEFINITELY persuaded me. :)