ARC Review: Lord of the Fly Fest by Goldy Moldavsky | Teen Ink

ARC Review: Lord of the Fly Fest by Goldy Moldavsky

By spittinwatches GOLD, Union, New Jersey
spittinwatches GOLD, Union, New Jersey

And I could imagine it—years, decades, maybe centuries down the line when my name is no more than an unmemorable myth and he has turned to bedrock, with nobody to worship him in the way I will.

First and foremost, this is a parody. A comedy if you will.

Rafi Francisco, small-time podcaster, finds herself trapped on an island with a bunch of influencers. Already, she's the odd one out. Fly Fest was supposed to be the biggest musical festival to ever happen. Turns out that's a lie as they all find themselves on a deserted island with nothing but questionable cheese sandwiches and a half built stage. But Rafi's only there for one reason, and that's to uncover the secret of River Stone: popstar sensation, possible murderer.

The premise is simple enough: a bunch of influencers are stuck on an island! Oh no, what will happen? The humor of this book really was amusing, and the mystery of the novel was intriguing enough that I had to keep turning the pages. I've never read Lord of the Flies, but this novel stands out enough to be quite a funny parody of it.

Unfortunately, 4 stars only because I was hoping that the stakes would be higher. Nobody died, I was hoping somebody did. Sure, everybody lived and was able to return to some sense of normalcy, but can you imagine the chaos a bunch of "celebrities" would bring if they had a death on their hands? I really was holding out for some murder, sorry.

If you're hoping for a quick and funny read about bringing out the worst in influencer culture, yeah this book is absolutely for you.