ARC Review: Ophelia After All by Racquel Marie | Teen Ink

ARC Review: Ophelia After All by Racquel Marie

By Abigail-Sterner PLATINUM, Mclean, Virginia
Abigail-Sterner PLATINUM, Mclean, Virginia

“One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel

Ophelia Rojas has it all figured out. Months away from graduating high school, she has her loyal group of friends, her roses, and way too many crushes to count. And that’s fine with her, for Ophelia is a true romantic at heart. But life is never that simple, and her perfect world starts to crack as she begins to question her relationships, her identity, and her sexuality. 

Ophelia After All by Racquel Marie is the sort of book that could change someone’s life. The novel handles sexuality and identity with care and understanding, reflecting the struggles of many still trying to figure out who they are. The writing was light and easy to fall into, with enough humor to balance the otherwise heavy subject matter. The dialogue felt natural, as did the relationships and how they ended up. The author never glorified the high school experience, but neither did she look upon it with dread.

The voice of the main character is truly that of a high school student. Her fears and hopes and dreams are realistic, as are her reactions to certain events. Ophelia never felt like an adult trying to play at being a teenager: her voice was unique and reflected the reality of being a young adult. She certainly had her quirks, but her hobbies never became her personality traits. Each choice–-no matter how it ended up–-made sense, and her struggles were genuine instead of merely serving the overall plot. 

Ophelia After All was a rare YA contemporary because Ophelia had a positive relationship with her parents. Though her internal questioning often led to familial conflict, it was clear that she cared for her parents and they returned the sentiment. The parents weren’t villainized in favor of making a more gripping story: they had characters just as complex as Ophelia’s. The cultural clash between having Irish and Cuban heritage was another aspect of the story the author handled well. Ophelia’s background was part of who she was, but her character was more than a label.

As with most stories set towards the end of high school, Ophelia After All deals with friendships and leaving them behind. All of her relationships--from her childhood best friend to the girl who made her question--were handled masterfully. Each character, whether or not they were a focal point of the story, had a clearly defined personality, background, and motivation. It never felt like they were shadows filling a plot hole or advancing the story. Though romance played a small portion in the overall plot, Ophelia alone was the star of the novel. 

All in all, Ophelia After All is a book that needs to be in schools and on library shelves. It deals with issues that many teens are forced to deal with, while also telling a lighthearted story about growing up. If even a single person can find themselves reflected in Racquel Marie’s words, then placing this book in every library across America will be worth it.