Eon: The Two Pearls of Wisdom by Alison Goodman | Teen Ink

Eon: The Two Pearls of Wisdom by Alison Goodman

May 25, 2018
By Cadencethelander BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin
Cadencethelander BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Eon a 12 year old boy has a big secret, he is actually Eona a 16 year old girl. This could get him and his master killed. Eona is masquerading as Eon because he is his master( the old tiger dragoneye) Brannon’s last hope. In Eon by Alison Goodman, Dragoneyes control the 12 spirit dragons. A girl is forbidden from learning dragon magic, the penalty is death for both Eon and Brannon if they are discovered. There are problems throughout the book for young Eon. They come in all sorts of different forms, all ranging from being honest, learning how to trust, to dealing with the death of someone close to him. There are overlapping themes of hiding and trust issues throughout the book. They come in different forms which is something I enjoyed immensely because it wasn't the same thing page after page after page. An example would be the antagonist (we find out who it is later in the book) it seems like we can trust the antagonist, but can we?

Furthermore I love this book because it seems to drop you right into the thick of things. It makes you work a little bit for the whole story, there always seems to be something hiding just around the corner which makes this book hard to put down. I personally enjoy reading books that make you work for the full story. People that don't enjoy that might find this book a little harder to read. I strongly recommend this book to people who like not being given the full story and enjoy making inferences and seeing if they were right. The book keeps people interested by having multiple plot twists or surprises waiting throughout the book. As soon as it starts slowing down and feeling harder to read, the author throws a curveball so to speak. It might be something you thought might happen or it might be out of the blue. I witnessed some of each and it was nice to be surprised.

At the same time I feel like Alison Goodman described the most basic sceneries or household items to much. People who are big fans of Stephen King might enjoy this book because he has a tendency to explain common objects in great detail. Alison goodman spent a few pages describing in detail a garden. She described everything from the sand, trees, to the figure kneeling in the middle of it.