There Is Always a Chance to Succeed by Michael Lewis | Teen Ink

There Is Always a Chance to Succeed by Michael Lewis

May 25, 2018
By maxgolembiewski BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin
maxgolembiewski BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The Blind Side by Michael Lewis is based on a true story of Husband and wife, Leigh Ann and Sean Touhy who welcomed in a teenage African American boy off the streets names Michael Oher. Michael has had little to no education, doesn’t know who his father is, and has a mother that is a washed up drug addict. Leigh Ann and Sean see that this kid needs the chance to succeed. When Michael seems to have interest in football, the family jumps on the opportunity. They see that any coach would likely love to have the opportunity to coach a 6 foot 4 inch, 315 pound 18 year old. The amount of potential the kid has is enormous. The only problem is where the parents live and how those people in the community treat him because of the color of his skin, making the theme of this book, hard work can beat the people who want to prevent success. The many problems Michael faces is what keeps you reading the book to see if he can overcome them. Read this book to find out how Michael lives out his dream, and if he defies the odds.


I think that Michael’s backstory shows that the author wanted to make a point across that no matter the problems you face in the past, there is always a chance to succeed, but whether or not you choose to follow through is in your hands. This book shows the author Michael Lewis’ perspective on life. What he shows throughout the book shows that he likes everyone the same, no matter the race.


In my opinion, I loved reading this book. I love the way Michael Lewis pulls at your emotions from start to finish. He makes you want to go inside the book and help Michael out.  The tough tasks he faces throughout this story really make you feel bad for him and want better for him. You really begin to cheer for Michael as he grows throughout the book.  Personally, I recommend that you read this book. The comeback story of Michael Oher really gets at your emotions that make you feel many different feelings throughout the true story. The situation that Michael was put into from the start is just sad. He has no father, and a drug addict for a mom is a tough household to live in. It really makes you grow up way faster than you should. At the beginning of the book you really get to know Michael, so when he gets his chance to succeed, you really are on his side. Overall, If anything in this review intrigues you, read The Blindside by Michael Lewis.