Numbers by Rachel Ward | Teen Ink

Numbers by Rachel Ward

September 22, 2017
By mexicanhomegirl BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
mexicanhomegirl BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Born with a special ability, 15-year-old Jem March, dreams of being normal like everyone else. Inside, she knows that she’s never going to be normal, but after figuring out that someone understands her ability, the main character of Numbers still feels like everyone is going to judge her and that she will have to live with her ability for the rest of her life. I would recommend this book to young adults that like bit of fantasy and some reality. It’s like a song it has a slow and steady tempo then it adds a suspenseful tempo.


“There are places where kids like me go. Sad kids, bad kids, bored kids, and lonely kids, kids that are different” (Ward 1). I am frustrated with this quote because we are put into categories, groups or places depending on what we do or how we act. This quote is relatable, and it happens mostly at any school where in this case also happens at her school.


“Inside me, my real voice was screaming now-- a piercing shriek of terror tearing through me. He had it, too, you see. 12081010. His number. Something was going to happen to these people. Today. Here. I turned ‘round and stumbled back to Spider, who was still cussing like a sailor” (Ward 66-67). I like this quote because it creates a lot of suspense in what’s going to happen, the use of the one-word sentences gives off an edgy vibe. It gives an idea of how Jem would have been feeling through out this part. It’s an important part of the story because it’s the cause of what happens in the rest of the book.