Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard by Rick Riordan | Teen Ink

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard by Rick Riordan

By atx_maria BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
atx_maria BRONZE, Arlington, Texas

The genre of the book is fantasy fiction, comedy, drama and thriller because it has viking Gods and mystical creatures and a lot of “what will happen next”. The author Rick Riordan did really good in emphasizing that together family and friends can do anything. Though I think he did too much of some many close calls with the characters getting killed, making them walk from one place to another very long taking 5 chapters and I think he should’ve given the characters more bonding time. For example, in his other books he gave his characters a whole chapter of them having a heart to heart conversation to some type of bonding without interruption. Now something that worked for this book was the suspense like would Samirah marry the giant, would Magnus be able to stop the giants, or who has the hammer? I was always like “WHAT?” or “NOOO!” whenever I found out about something else. In some parts it was really hard to understand the author because what I thought I knew or understood would turn out that I was wrong on the prediction I had made earlier wasn’t correct. Something I learned from this is to not trust everything people say or see because the main character Magnus was betrayed a lot by his uncle and the god Loki. I can make connection of this with Divergent because of Tris watching out from everyone that was competing against her even her own “friends.” One of the quotes I liked in the book was “’ Clay can be shaped and reshaped, over and over, but if it gets too dry, if it sets… then there’s only so much you can do with it. When it gets to that point, you’d better be sure it’s in the shape you want it to have forever’’’ (Riordan 448). Also “’ Yeah. Loki would be seriously ticked off if Roman emperors destroy the world before he got to start Ragnarok’’’ (Riordan 458).  I recommend this book to teens in grade level 7-9 because it’s complicated to understand.