Gone (novel) by Michael Grant | Teen Ink

Gone (novel) by Michael Grant

By Omar_Garcia BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
Omar_Garcia BRONZE, Arlington, Texas

"We rise by lofting others" - Robert Ingersoll

The setting is Perdido Beach, California. The characters consist of Sam, Astrid, Quinn, and many others as they get introduced as the story continues. Each character brings their own set of characteristics. Sam brought bravery and leadership. Astrid brought loyalty and hope. Quinn brought trust and faith. The antagonist and protagonist relationship worked very well and probably the best relationship I’ve read so far. “‘The darkness says you teach’ Pack leader said, falling  back on familiar territory” (Grant 328). The pack leader is a mutated coyote who can speak but very vague. He refers to “The darkness” as a voice within a cave which gives him orders to do since he is scared of the darkness. I’m baffed not knowing what the darkness truly is. “‘Maybe this is why your mother abandoned you,’ Diana said savagely. ‘Maybe she could see that you weren’t just bad, you were twisted and sick and evil’” (Grant 540). When I read this sentenced I was shocked to hear Diana say that because she is Caine's (The bad guy) “girlfriend.” Even though I agree with her because Caine has a weak mind that is only controlled in thrust for power .I recommend this book to people who like a good story and a couple plot twists. The book made me feel as I was in the scenes spectating. I wouldn’t recommend this book to people who don’t like lengthy books because this book is 558 pages. The characterization was very strong in this book. The author made it to where I loved and hated some characters based on the decisions they made. In total each character was different in one way or another which made the story even more interesting. The plot structure was pretty smooth most times I knew what was happening and where it was taking place, but sometimes there was a transaction I missed and I had to re-read to understand. Compared to other books I really got into this book because I really liked the storyline and the characters. This is the first book in the series and I plan to read the other books because I like the way Michael Grant wrote.

I was looking for a book to read and stumbled across this amzing book.