Penny from Heaven by Jennifer L. Holm | Teen Ink

Penny from Heaven by Jennifer L. Holm

By Evy_Squire BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
Evy_Squire BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

Holm, Jennifer L. Penny from Heaven. New York, Random House Books for Young Readers,
2007. 256.

Penny from Heaven, by Jennifer L. Holm, is about Penny who is a smart and outgoing 12-year old girl, struggling to keep her late father’s family and her mother’s family close together. The only problem is that her mom has some unresolved issues with Penny’s father’s brothers, sisters and mother. At the same time, she is trying to figure out how her father really died, and why her mother won’t talk about him. She has been told her whole life that her father was very sick. Penny is still having trouble finding out what truly happened to her father when a huge accident lands her in the hospital. Penny’s family is forced to tell her the truth about her father’s death. Even with major setbacks Penny manages to get both her families together even though it doesn’t last long.

Jennifer L. Holm is one of my favorite authors. I love this book because it is exciting, heartwarming and, at some points, adventurous. The way this book is written is almost like you can feel what Penny is feeling. Penny’s narrative voice pulls you in and won’t let you go. Penny from Heaven is one of my favorite books because most of her feelings are relatable. It also sounds like it actually happened. Penny from Heaven is a perfect realistic fiction novel. I recommend this book to anyone who likes an inspiring and moving story.