Magnus Chase and the Hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan | Teen Ink

Magnus Chase and the Hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan

By anna-g BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
anna-g BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

Riordan, Rick. Magnus Chase and the Hammer of Thor. New York, Disney-Hyperion, 2016. 480.

Magnus Chase and the Hammer of Thor is the second book in the Magnus Chase series by Rick Riordan, about demigods and Norse Mythology. Demigods are half-gods, the children of a god and a human. This book is the story of Magnus Chase who is the demigod son Frey, the Norse god of spring, summer, and healing. Magnus and his friends Samirah, Blitzen, Hearthstone, and Alex are trying to find Thor’s missing hammer. The giants are preparing to attack Midgard (the human realm) and the only thing stopping them is their fear of Thor and his hammer. Along the way to retrieve the hammer, they run into old and new enemies who try to stop them from getting the hammer. To get Thor’s hammer back, they have to outwit giants, fight spirits, and find a dwarf. Eventually, one of them has to pretend to marry the giant who is keeping the hammer so that they can take it as the “bride price,” just like in the original myths.

Magnus Chase and the Hammer of Thor was wonderful to read because it has a plot full of twists, turns, and lots of character development. I enjoyed reading this book because there was never a dull moment, everything was connected.  It contained a lot of references to Norse myths so I would recommend this book to anyone interested in mythology. The author, Rick Riordan, also wrote the  Percy Jackson series, so if you liked that series, I would recommend this book for you. I liked this book a lot and would give it ten out of ten stars.