The Big Field by Mike Lupica | Teen Ink

The Big Field by Mike Lupica

By ShayO. BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
ShayO. BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

Lupica, Mike. The Big Field. New York, NY, Philomel Books, 2008. 243.

Mike Lupica tells the story of The Big Field, a fantastic fast-paced realistic fiction novel. This novel informs everyone about playing on the big field and delivers the readers magic through words.The rising star of the story known as Hutch goes through some positive and crummy experiences. This book takes you on a short journey into the real world of baseball. At the same time, Hutch was fighting obstacles at home with his dad and with his team. Hutch had always been the shortstop for his team, just like his hero Derek Jeter. The increasing fear of not becoming his hero due to him being stuck at second base because of some snotty overconfident jerk was unbearable for Hutch. At home, Hutch’s rather grumpy father who doesn't seem to enjoy baseball the way he did, he brings Hutch’s confidence plummeting to the ground. Hutch likes to think that it’s him against the world he wants to show the world that he is capable of great feats.

Subsequently, reading The Big Field, I found what it means and what it takes to truly overcome obstacles. I love that this book isn't one where the main character hits a home run every game, or is the best player on the team and hits a cliche home run, but in this book, he is the underdog. I have faith in this being one of the most exceptional novel’s Mike Lupica has ever created. The Big Field was able to teach me the values of what a father-son relationship really is. This novel will grab, tug and tug at you from the first page to the last. I would recommend this book to anyone who is associated with sports or someone who simply likes a good book.

This book is deeply special to me. I would love to share what I think about this book with the world.