The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

January 10, 2017
By MadiTheWater BRONZE, Gresham, Oregon
MadiTheWater BRONZE, Gresham, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Katniss Everdeen. The girl who started a revolution in a dystopian society. She went from being a low class citizen in a life of poverty, to living in the District 12 victor village. Because from the moment she volunteered for her sister Prim, She was placed in those hunger games and started a revolution unlike any other.
` The book Hunger games by Suzanne Collins is a nonfiction book based on a girl who’s named Katniss Everdeen. Katniss lived in a place called Panem. Panem had smaller towns called Districts. In Panam’s “dark age”, District 13 was bombed because they attempted to start a revolution against the capitol. This was the cause of what is called the hunger games. The hunger games is where the capitol randomly selects one girl and one boy, each between the ages 12 and 18, from each of the twelve districts. They are forced to fight to the death until there is only one child left and they are declared the winner. When her and Peeta Mellark, the boy that was selected to be the male tribute, were taken off to the capitol, they have to undergo  some pretty intense training. They had to choose allies and see people weakness’. Learn new skills in attempt to survive the dreaded hunger games. Katniss must overcome many obstacles that the Hunger Games throw at her in order to survive. Such as love, pain, fear, and the other tributes. Katniss is extremely good with a bow and arrow. So in the training area she spends a lot of time hiding it as a strategy from the other tributes. When the games actually begin there is so much emotion and tension building up from the beginning till the end. It’s emotional and it really touches the heart. The ending of the games is probably the best part in the book, But I wouldn’t spoil that for you. You’ll just have to read to find that out yourself.
This book was extremely good because it kept you on your toes the whole time and kept you from getting bored and had a good upbeat feel to it. There weren't too many dull moments but it does take a bit to get into when you’re first reading it. Other than that there was just enough detail that you could picture what was going on in your head while the story kept moving and there was enough details to paint a vivid picture of how the districts and towns look. The only thing that I personally didn’t like about this book was that the sexual and relationship tension between Katniss, Peeta, and Gale. It drove me insane because I really wanted Gale and Katniss to fall in love, but that will never happen. It’s kinda one of those things you want in your heart, but know it’s never gonna happen. It was pretty frustrating. One of my favorite things that is in this book is the time frame. It’s almost in the future, but all of it seems like present day matters. Like the Capitol reminds me of  Los Angeles, California. With all of it’s shiny, new, glamorized things it has. While some of the less glamorized, poverty districts like district twelve remind me of places that don’t have a lot of money and technology, like Africa or India. It’s based many years later but it all sounds and from what i pictured in my head as matters that happen everyday in life now. 
This book overall is fantastic and i’d give it a 4.5 out of 5 stars because I loved the plot and details in the book, but the love triangle between Gale, Peeta and Katniss drove me insane and I wish it could've happened my way but other than that I love this book and it’s sure one of my favorites.