Think Like a Freak by Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner | Teen Ink

Think Like a Freak by Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner

May 15, 2016
By isabelw DIAMOND, Atlanta, Georgia
isabelw DIAMOND, Atlanta, Georgia
58 articles 2 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"They say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." -John Lennon


Do you know what you want to do? Broad question I know, but this helps because it applies to so much.


Do you know what you want to do?


Do you see a problem? Do you know how to fix that problem? Did you know that problems go deeper in order to find a solution? Aren’t some problems just the tip of the iceberg?

 

Are you confused yet? OK, I’ll stop. But I’ve introduced to the idea of thinking like a freak. It helps more than you might think.


Think Like a Freak by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner is a follow-up book from their two previous books, Freakonomics and SuperFreakonomics. It addresses problems and solutions, to an extent- it won’t solve your life, but it will definitely make you look at things differently. It explains how to say “I don’t know” without giving up and how to give up without losing everything.


The book is basically made up of examples and short stories within each chapter. It is not what the common teenager reads, but it is worth your time. I thought it would be about economics again and these lame guys would be lecturing me from their high-horse. But that’s not how it was- I found myself wanting to read it! Me! Me wanting to read a book written by economists, ha! That’s because it’s not about that stuff, it’s about what I want.
What do I want to do? I don’t know. But that’s OK because saying “I don’t know” is part of thinking like a freak. And this freaky mindset can take me in whatever direction I want. The rest is up to the reader.


The author's comments:

I was supposed to read this for school, and I ended up really learning from it!