Miles to Go by Miley Cyrus | Teen Ink

Miles to Go by Miley Cyrus MAG

By NoRulesJustWrite PLATINUM, Ada, Michigan
NoRulesJustWrite PLATINUM, Ada, Michigan

Stay happy, stay weird, and don't let anyone take away your smile.

Miles to Go took me on a road trip through the life of a girl I thought I already knew everything about. Boy, was I wrong. With every sentence, I felt like Miley was talking to me, having a sister-to-sister chat. She wrote this book with her heart, and that is why it is so meaningful.

Miley is not a cookie-cutter celebrity, like many say. She knows where she came from and won’t forget it. She lives by her values and holds onto her strong faith.

Miley’s family is always her top priority. While she may be famous and live in L.A., who she is hasn’t changed. If her little sister, Noah, wants her to stay home and watch a movie, Miley will. Even if Miley gets invited to a celebrity party, it’s clear that she will choose her family first.

My favorite part of the book was when she talks about Vanessa, a girl who was, as Miley puts it, “the sister God forgot to give me.” Vanessa was a 9-year-old suffering from cystic fibrosis. Miley met her at a hospital and they became instant friends. Miley kept in contact with her family and often visited Vanessa at the hospital or called when she was on tour. One day Miley called only to find out that Vanessa’s time on Earth had ended. Miley was devastated. She immediately got off the tour bus and lay down in a frozen field. This was when Miley realized how much she had needed Vanessa, and how important it is to love every day and not take it for granted. This was just one of Miley’s many beautiful stories.

Somewhere between introducing us to Pappy Cyrus, who changed so many lives, learning to accept her “cankles,” and sharing her love for eating eggs with syrup, Miley connects with readers. For someone so young, Miley is one of the most brilliant people I have ever seen. Her fame hasn’t changed her; she stays grounded with the help of her family and her faith.

When this book came out, I became Miley’s number-one fan all over again. In reading Miles to Go, I felt like a part of the family.

saranova_92 BRONZE, Wallkill, New York
While Miley may be really talented, she certainly doesn't live out the Christian values she claims to believe in . . in light of the clothes she wears, who she hangs out with, the whole pole dancing & bad pix thing.... dating an underwear model & making out on the beach. I realize it's hard for kids to stay straight in Hollywood, so maybe it's better if their parents show more responsibility for them. And why would she call herself a Christian if she can't take a stand up for what's right? It's easy to dress and act like everyone else; it takes real courage to be different

pinkowl BRONZE said...
pinkowl BRONZE, Tyrone, Pennsylvania

Jeremiah 29:11

i love miley so much. as i love this short but sweet article. miley is my fav person ever, and i hope to meet her! i believe i share the title with you on being her number 1 fan. <3 good work, i'm glad this got put in the mag.

not to mention she got caught smoking bong, she pole danced at a children's award show, took some pervish snapshots of herself, what else? hmmmm

NintaiKyouboku BRONZE, Portland, Oregon

"To win you've got to enter first."

I liked this book, and this review was good. However, many celebrities use ghost writers, and it is very likely that Miley Cyrus used one too, so I must take the praise in the review with a grain of salt.

Bookworm1998 GOLD, Brampton, Other

Preserve your memories, keep them well; what you forget, you can never retell.

aw thanks :)

Bookworm1998 GOLD, Brampton, Other

yupyupyup! i still <3 her soo much!

thats nice and sweet comment me if u think bookworm1998 is nice

UR KWL

hey guys mileys a great person i luv her so much miles to go was great but sad wen venessa died ya reply if u luv miley

LexieN14 BRONZE, Sheboygan, Wisconsin

fluffy muffins and bluffing muffins

Good job with this review

SongAway BRONZE, Burton-Upon-trent, Other

"I need to find me a quote"??

Ghost writer?

Bookworm1998 GOLD, Brampton, Other

i really liked her book too! it was a great story to lie in bed with and to share with friends. i feel Miley really is a great person despite what the media is saying about her. even with all the rumours and stories about her flying about, i know that the down-to-earth girl that wrote this wonderful book is still with us.

EmptySoul SILVER, Milaca, Minnesota

No one can hurt me as much as I can hurt myself.

Well written, could be a little longer though.

Bambi67 SILVER said...
Bambi67 SILVER, Chicago, Illinois

remember that the future comes one day at a time.
Dean Acheson

very nice!!

Brooke said...
on Jun. 29 2011 at 8:04 am
Ok this was the best comment i have read so far!!!! Its so true!!! 

Alex_Durham GOLD, Vineland, New Jersey

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

I know that she wrote it because it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and because that's how I would expect her to write it... haha. 

on Jun. 20 2011 at 3:56 am
WelshSam BRONZE, Caerphilly, Other

There are too many to choose from.

And you know this how...?

Alex_Durham GOLD, Vineland, New Jersey

I read the first couple paragraphs at my friends house - she had the book there and I was interested to see how it came out - and I didn't really understand what she was talking about. It made no sense, so I put it down. 

I read this book last year! i loved how Miley connected with the readers and i felt liek i knew her! The book was so well written and I felt as if I truley knew miley. And then she had the whole "PArty in the USA" and "Can't Be Tamed" episode, and I began to wonder how someone who wrote such a powerful personal narrative could double as a wild party girl. I think that Miley has changed alot in the past year, but we can all learn alot of Life Lessons from reading her story. Like To Kill A Mockingbird... :)

kelsee727 said...
kelsee727, The Plains, Ohio
I'm currently reading this book because of this review. So far I like her as a person, but I believe that she has not stuck to some things she said in her book. People make mistakes, but she said she keeps herself grounded and such. I kind of find that hard to believe, but other than that I love her story so far. I did not know she had been bullied and it shocks me. I wish she would start going back to make good decisions.

Me12 said...
Hey i feel sorry for Miley ya know