The Warriors Heart by David Keegan | Teen Ink

The Warriors Heart by David Keegan

By Davekeegs BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin
Davekeegs BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin

Book Review of The Warrior’s Heart
The book was the tale of the author's life, Eric Greitens, the book questions you along the way, by asking if you were in the same situation he was what would you do. He lived in St. Louis Missouri for a majority of his life, he was the oldest of the three brothers raised by a mother who was a special education teacher and a dad who was an accountant. Throughout his youth, Greitens said he was focused on college, but once he got to Duke University, he felt it was all talk and no action. During summer breaks, he volunteered for humanitarian aid missions to Croatia, Rwanda and Bolivia, all of which helped shape his life philosophy that service to others is crucial. Greitens learned at a young age the importance of doing a good job on something for example he got called out on poorly done job when he mowed lawns.Later, when Greitens visited a homeless shelter with a youth group leader, he realized that making a difference could be done quietly with simple gestures of kindness. It’s funny how a kid that said he "had no more interest in the military than I did in dinosaurs or outer space". He ended up joining the most elite and challenging military team in the world, if you are a male I would suggest this book more than I would suggest to females but I’m not saying a female won’t like it though. Mainly because of the military aspect of the book and most girls don’t appeal to blood and guts. Greitens finished the SEALs program before the 9/11 attacks, in one of the chapters he talks about his deployment to Iraq, one of my favorite chapters because it’s a lot of action. The book was filled with great parts and very relatable to me and I assume a bunch of others would too, I recommend this book to everyone it’s a really relatable read. Life lesson are learned from his life and he asks many times what you would do in his situation, makes you think about your life choices and how you make decisions every day. The ending makes you thinking about the stories you will tell when you grow up and also gives you a guide on helping your community. "I am asking you to serve because we need you. We need you to use all of your unique gifts to make a difference in a way that only you can. There is almost no problem in the world that is not being solved by a young person somewhere."