The Book Thief by Markus Zusak | Teen Ink

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

March 3, 2016
By HaileyB BRONZE, Kamas, Utah
HaileyB BRONZE, Kamas, Utah
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

We've all heard stories about World War II, but the story of Liesel Meminger in The Book Thief is nothing like the rest. This novel is a great example of friendship and loyalty as shown through the relationships of the characters. As the author Markus Zusak moves on, readers begin to feel the emotions of the characters, and it's almost like they are there in person. Perhaps the reason it seems so realistic is the fact that according to wikipedia, his German mother described to him the details of what Germany was like. Many parts of the story are told the way she told them to him. For these reasons, you should read The Book Thief.

Himmel Street soccer. That's how it all begins. Liesel Meminger is the new girl in the neighborhood and all of the other children are waiting. A tall, skinny, blonde-headed boy introduces himself as Rudy Steiner. At this time, neither Rudy nor Liesel have any idea of the great friendship that will come. Rudy would become her "partner and sometime catalyst in crime." Hans Hubermann, Liesel's caretaker, also plays a major role in Liesel's life. Hans and Liesel connect through words and music as he plays the accordion and teaches her to read.

Liesel has a great love for books. She steals books to deal with the grief of losing her family. To her, a book is "The last time she saw her brother. The last time she saw her mother." Rudy often goes with Liesel to the mayor's house. They sneak in through the open window, and into the quiet, lonesome library. Liesel will run through the aisles of books, letting her hand brush past them. She will wait until she sees the perfect one to read. One day, Liesel accidentally drops a book into the river. Rudy immediately jumps in to get it, knowing how important it is to her. We know all these details because of the interesting narrator, Death.

Death has a different perspective on things. He doesn't like his job. As he goes around taking the souls of helpless people, he feels sympathy for them. He doesn't want them to suffer. "Please, be calm...I am not violent...I am a result." page 7 of The Book Thief. Death sees things differently. He sees Liesel three times, in three different colors. The first two times he sees her, they are sad times. The last time Death sees Liesel it is peaceful. He sees others and their lives too. He sees a boy named Max, walking down the street in the dark, finding a place to hide. Asking others to risk their lives.

The Hubermann's are hiding a Jew. Hans explains to Liesel how important it is that she doesn't tell anyone. The Jew's name is Max. He and Liesel are great friends. Max can't go outside, so Liesel tries to bring the outside world to him. She brings him pine cones, a soccer ball, and even snow. Eventually, Max has to leave. Himmel Street is bombed, but Liesel survives. She will never forget the people, and the acts of friendship that have changed her life.

  If you are looking for a good book full of personality, The Book Thief is a great choice. As stated earlier, while the author tells the story, he gives life to the novel and everything in it.