Far Far Away by Tom McNeal | Teen Ink

Far Far Away by Tom McNeal

March 3, 2016
By Rachel.B. BRONZE, Yokohama, Other
Rachel.B. BRONZE, Yokohama, Other
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Jeremy Johnson Johnson. What an unusual name. But his name isn't the only strange thing about him. Jeremy lives in the attic of a two-book bookstore with his dad who never goes out, and he has a special talent: he hears the voices of ghosts. But there's one voice he hears all of the time - the voice of Jacob. Yes, the Jacob. Jacob Ludwig Carl Grimm.

The ghost of Jacob Grimm helps guide Jeremy with his studies in order to send him away to university where he will be safe from the so-called Finder of Occasions, a mysterious man rumored to be trying to hunt Jeremy down. But there are several things getting in the way of this task of protecting Jeremy, such as a risk-taking girl named Ginger, his struggles to earn enough money to keep his bookstore and house, and the whole town suddenly turning against Jeremy.

In this novel filled with plots and twists by Tom McNeal, Jeremy’s life turns upside-down as it shifts into a real-life fairytale. Narrated by Jacob Grimm, this book automatically drew me in through mystery, magic, love, and an intriguing, dark plot. Kids who love adventure and fantasy will relish this book. Though the action moved leisurely throughout most of the book, the end intrigued me as it slowly turned grim with darkness and mysterious noises. Tom McNeal made me long to follow Jeremy and Ginger through not such happily-ever-after endings as they traveled to a place called Far Far Away.