Remembering Mia by Alexandra Burt | Teen Ink

Remembering Mia by Alexandra Burt

January 11, 2016
By SpeakerOfTheDead PLATINUM, Lemont, Illinois
SpeakerOfTheDead PLATINUM, Lemont, Illinois
27 articles 31 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
“How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.”
― Henry David Thoreau


With comparisons to Gone Girl and Girl on the Train, I thought this book would be an amazing thriller. But this book was nothing of the short. If you want something well written with believable characters, good plot, and a well-paced tightly woven narrative keep looking. 
The narrative was all over the place. The story had a weird way of presenting itself. It jumped around every part and each chapter was divided from what happened in the past and what was happening now in the hospital. It opened well with an interesting mystery, but the rest of it felt wasted for an ending that was not worth it.
The author spent too much time wasting pages by describing the weirdest things and being swept away in long descriptions and pages of pages of talking about Postpartum Depression.  If the author removed parts of it that were repetitive, it would be better as a shorter read.
But it was not all bad. Remembering Mia is a decent read and the author does have talent. This book simply does not show it. With her next release, Alexandra Burt should show what she learned from this novel with a more polished work.