The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan | Teen Ink

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

By Raymundo_Corona BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
Raymundo_Corona BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado

Have you ever felt like you have been followed? Or seen mysterious shadows of horned-like figures? If you have then do not read this book. Just as the author Rick Riordan warns you in the first page, it “…is just matter of time before ‘they’… come for you.” The Lightning Thief is not any ordinary fantasy book; it will pull you in and once you are in; you cannot escape.
This book is a mere introduction to the amazing adventurous world of half-bloods, where all the mythical Greek gods still rule the world and the battles between them come to life, and that is absolutely correct. Half-bloods, as you will soon discover, are kids with one human parent and the other being an ancient Greek god. Many could compare this book to the Harry Potter saga, but when taking a closer look at Harry Potter, he uses magic to defend himself and lives in a magical world. The protagonist Percy Jackson, in the other hand uses his inherited abilities to fight mythical monsters such as a Minotaur and Medusa.
Percy is an average teen boy who has troubles in school and at home. He does not only have dyslexia, but various other disorders that trouble him despite these impediments, he is still considered a troublemaker. Percy is a long time friend with a geeky type of kid who is also disabled due to  his weird “back problem”. Nonetheless, as expected in every teenage based story, school is over and Percy goes home to his mother and his stepfather, but not without first being involved in a suspicious event that is out of the ordinary where he was the only one to see it. As usual, no one believes him and he is qualified as the freak of the school. Not long after, he ends ups in a mini-trip where his whole life changes. That same day he ends up with his friend Grover, who is actually a satyr, at Half-blood Hill, a summer camp for kids like Percy where he soon enough is going to embark on a quest for the lost bolt of Zeus.
Spoilers aside, surely anyone who reads this book will end up with thirst for more and it is guaranteed that this book is for almost everyone. Do to the fact that the book is based on ancient Greek mythology, some sex based topics due pop up such as “affairs” and other subjects, but it is still quite a thrilling experience reading the book. It does have some level of sexuality, but it’s barely noticeable and mature kids eight years and older are surely going to enjoy this book. The simple ideas of sword fights and light versus dark will catch the eye of any curious reader, and they will most likely find it a marvelous novel . It is also recommended not only to the average teen, but also to curious adults that are looking for an intriguing novel to brighten up their day.