A Child Called It; by Dave Pelzer | Teen Ink

A Child Called It; by Dave Pelzer

By dpl_12 BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia
dpl_12 BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia

"If you're not first your last"

It was a very interesting book that made me realize how lucky I am. It pursued me to keep reading the book, the story being true, also made the book more special. This has been one of my favorites book that I have ever read! It makes you a little sad, but teaches you about some peoples lives. It made me understand now how lucky i am to have parents like mine.

The book begins at a time period where Dave and his family got along. They would go on family vacations and thy all loved each other. Then his dad began to drink, which influenced his mom,who began to drink as well. One day, Dave did something wrong, he was slapped extremely hard in the face. Then, it began to all go downhill from there. dave had more chores, couldn't play and was getting beat by his mom. Dave's dad and brothers tried to stop it but it never worked. then Dave's dad moved out of the house. She began to not feed him, and beat him all the time. after years of beatings and "games". At school, teachers began to notice Dave's drop in grades, happiness, and all the bruises and scars he began to get. One day, the teachers couldn't take seeing him like this anymore. Dave's life was about to change forever.
I would recommend this book to ages 11-18. Or even if you are an adult! It shows how lucky some of us are, and we don't even realize it. The book itself though, was interesting and lead me to continue reading all day. Once the book is picked up, it is hard to put it down. That is unusual for a person like me, because I'm not much of a reader. This book though, I could read over and over again! I would never get bored of it!
I encourage everyone to read this book at some point in their life. Throughout the story it continues to shock and surprise you with intense scenes. Some of the stuff Dave went through is just horrific! It WILL teach you how lucky you are, trust me. Try to imagine if you were in Dave's life. All the beatings,terrible games, and humiliation she made him go through. It will show you how spoiled you really are. Hopefully everyone will read this book, if you don't you'd really be missing out!