Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli | Teen Ink

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

March 2, 2015
By Anonymous

The stunning Stargirl is like a spontaneous rainstorm in the desert striking life into everything around when she roamed the halls of Mica Area High School for the first time. Containing carbon-copy students, Mica Area is a generic high school because students freak out about going against the “social norm”, but that was before Stargirl. Inspiring everyone, Stargirl modeled how to ignore judgement, become an individual, and seek happiness in small things like creating smiles for others. Everyday at school, we thrive to soar like a lone hawk in the desert, so we refresh our brains and evaluate how we can assist more than ourselves. Jerry Spinelli paints a lively image in your mind of the events in Stargirl because his style of writing is simple to follow yet still interesting. When Stargirl stole Leo Borlock's heart, my hands flipped the pages faster as my eyes became wildly addicted to the book. The most adorable love story between Leo and Stargirl forced me to continue reading until the end because I needed to know how the couple ended. As if my feelings rode a wild ride, I stared in disbelief as I watched Leo and Stargirl's relationship snap in half at the end of the book after it had gone through so much. Joining my top ten list of books, Stargirl first attracted my eye because of the cover, and as I skimmed through the book, I realized this was going to be a keeper. Like any other teenage girl, the romance in this book attracts our attention because the love relationship seemed to be sweeter than sugar and beyond perfect.