The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie | Teen Ink

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

By Dark_Nebula BRONZE, Ashford, Connecticut
Dark_Nebula BRONZE, Ashford, Connecticut

"I didn't literally kill Indians.  We were supposed to make you give up being Indian.  Your songs and stories and language and dancing.  Everything.  We weren't trying to kill Indian people.  We were trying to kill Indian culture." - Mr. P, longtime reservation teacher (page 35).  The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie shows the struggles that Arnold had to go through growing up living on an Indian reservation in Spokane, Washington. He was picked on day in and day out by his fellow Indians, had attended 42 funeral in his 14 years and also had to deal with unstable parents.
    Arnold goes through a significant amount of losses in his life but there were only three that majorly impacted him in this book. Arnold feels he played a role in some of the deaths. He feels this way because with a little help from Mr. P.  Arnold had made the decision to leave the reservation school to attend the white school in Reardan. With this being his choice he had lost many close friends and family.
    Rowdy, Arnold's best friend, was a hot headed and short tempered young Indian boy who was known for having anger management issues. He and Arnold had been friends since they were little, but their friendship changed when Arnold left the “rez”. By leaving the rez and going to Rearden he met several new people who became significant in his life. All of these new influences helped shaped Arnold in positive ways.
    I would highly recommend reading this book because it takes the reader on an emotional roller coaster. Beginning with the struggles of life on an Indian reservation, to the difficulties of friendship, through the struggles of being an Indian in a new predominately white school, Arnold learned to accept himself and be independent in setting goals for his life.  He is an inspiring character.