Wildwood | Teen Ink

Wildwood

January 18, 2015
By Cameron Thompson BRONZE, Portland, Oregon
Cameron Thompson BRONZE, Portland, Oregon
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Wildwood by Colin Meloy
Imagine you lived a normal life then one day your baby brother was abducted, not by a man in a creepy white van but by a murder of crows.  Then you say them take him to the place where you were never aloud to go.  A place that is so scary everyone at school tells stories about people who when in and never came back.  If you asked your parents they would change the subject.  What would you do? 
In Wildwood Prue, a grade school kid faces this challenge.  This forbidden place on the edge of Portland is a vast forest called Wildwood.  Prue has to go into the woods to save her brother.  She is accompanied by Curtis one of Prue’s classmates; Curtis is shunned from all friendships because he draws superheroes when everyone else is past that stage in their childhood.  Prue and Curtis will make friends and enemies during their adventure.  What started as a mission to save a brother turned into saving a whole civilization.  If you like fantasy adventure books than this is the book for you. 
Colin Meloy uses amazing imagery to let the reader see the story as it was intended.  You feel like your right next to Prue and Curtis during their adventures.  “After a time, the boxy structures of the Wastes gave way to the slope of deep green brush; Prue stopped across the northbound branch of train tracks and found herself immersed in a lush, knee-deep thicket of ferns.”  In this scene Meloy is explaining Wildwood; this description tells me how to imagine Wildwood.  Seeing everything is important when you are reading a book.  A book can’t only have good imagery it has to have a theme.
There are many themes in this book like where ever you go there will be friends and don’t judge a book by its cover, but the main theme is to never give up.  Prue and Curtis never give up on their journey.  When Prue’s parents tell her she can’t do it, Prue doesn’t give up on her mission.  When Curtis is put in prison he tries to escape to go help.  Both Prue and Curtis never give up; I wish everyone in the world were like them.  Never giving up shows that Prue and Curtis have immense amounts of courage.
In Wildwood, Prue and Curtisnbnb face many problems; what I like about them is that they always push through.  During their adventures they make new friends and enemies.  This book taught me a lot about friends and how they help you through life.  Without friends lives problems will be much harder alone.  After their experiences the lives of them and their families will be changed forever.