"1776" by David McCullough | Teen Ink

"1776" by David McCullough

January 4, 2015
By ryu0921 SILVER, YongIn, Other
ryu0921 SILVER, YongIn, Other
9 articles 11 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Anything's possible if you've got enough nerve"


1776 was one of the most fast-paced, page turning nonfiction works I have ever read. Written by the highly appraised writer, David McCullough, the book focuses on the formation of America as a nation. The author is a two time winner of the Pulitzer Prize as well as the winner of several other highly accoladed awards such as the National Book Award.Though David McCullough did not attain a degree in history, he has a degree in English Literature from Yale and has written several other historical non-fiction books including Trumanand John Adams, which have all been adapted to films. With an extraordinary writing skill, McCollough tells history like a children’s book.


The book starts out with a few quotes from “General George Washington”. McCollough quotes Washington, “Perseverance and spirit have done wonders in all ages”. This is a hint on the direction the author will take with the telling of the story— George Washington’s military mindset and methods. Like the preface quotes, the table of contents also give away how the author chose to structure the book to tell one specific element of the beginnings of America. The book 1776 is divided in to 3 parts: The Siege, Fateful Summer (The lines are drawn, Field of Battle), The Long Retreat. One can infer that this book will focus on the military events with “General” George Washington rather than political aspects. After reading the first opening chapter, I was reassured of  David McCollough’s thesis that the military leadership of George Washington is what led the Americans to eventually win the war against Britain. He uses 3 major battles as examples to support his clear thesis: The Battle of Dorchester Heights, the Battle of Long Island, and the Battle of Trenton.


The Battle of Dorchester Heights is the first main battle that McCullough discusses in his book. This battle can be found in chapter 3, the “Dorchester Heights”. The author mentions the British general, William Howe’s significance in this battle as well. Continental Army under Washington’s command took over Dorchester Heights, and successfully drove the British forces away from the city. Howe’s retreat is emphasised and McCullough puts light on Washington’s accomplishments.


Part 2 of this book, followed by chapter 4, begins with yet another quote of General George Washington’s: “The fate of unborn millions will now depend, under God, on the courage and conduct of this army”. The Continental Army is gaining morale and unity to be “engaged in this glorious cause”. The Battle of Long Island is, however, a defeat for Washington’s Army. But McCullough says that Washington’s evacuation of the entire army without the loss of supplies or soldier life is a great accomplishment. It is implied that this defeat motivated the next battle.


In chapter 5, the author illustrates General George Washington’s victory over the Hessian soldiers at Trenton in 1776. The dangerous crossing of the Delaware River during the harsh winter was the major contributing factor to this victory. George Washington successfully led his army to surround the Hessian garrison. These battles of American victory AND defeats inspired rebels in colonies and round up a morale to fight. Overall, I think McCullough powerfully communicated George Washington’s military significance throughout the American Revolution.


I highly recommend this book because this book will not put you to sleep. It tells the same story with a new perspective. I learned that US history can be interpreted in so many different ways from my APUSH teacher, and this book showed me one aspect of what happened in the American Revolution. 1776 helped me (the newbie to anything militaristic or war methods) understand the military strategies and significance of General George Washington against British generals such as Howe.


The author's comments:

Advanced Placement US History students! I strongly recommend you read 1774 before the APUSH exam in May. Washington's leadership is one of the most frequently given topic of the AP exam. This book will help you come up with specific evidences for the Free Response Question portion of the exam. Read my recommendation to find out what historical events are covered in this book. Good luck!