Friday Never Leaving by Vikki Wakefield | Teen Ink

Friday Never Leaving by Vikki Wakefield

December 28, 2014
By isabelw DIAMOND, Atlanta, Georgia
isabelw DIAMOND, Atlanta, Georgia
58 articles 2 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"They say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." -John Lennon


In her world, Friday Brown and her mother, Vivienne, move with the wind.  Home was never a place for Friday.  Growing up in sleepy old towns, Vivienne has taught Friday the ways of the road and filled her mind with tales and legends, including a the story of a family curse. 
All is well in Friday’s world with surprises behind every corner, until Vivienne gets cancer.  Friday is forced the live in a large house with her grandfather who buried a swimming pool once her mother dies, but the wind started to blow so away she went.  She left for the city to discover her next adventure, sadly alone. 
Since she is technically homeless, Friday finds herself with the street kids, all of whom are broken, scared, and without a home like herself. 
The definition of home and family is questioned and tested throughout her experiences in the city and in a dusty ghost town.  Is home a place, a person, or in her case, the open road? 
Friday Never Leaving by Vikki Wakefield is a well-written young adult’s coming-of-age story.  It is complete with love of all types because love and family and home come in many different forms.  The story shines a light on facing damaged pasts where one must, as described by Friday herself, “run like hell or dive in.”