Tides by Betsy Cornwell | Teen Ink

Tides by Betsy Cornwell

By Clary_Fray DIAMOND, Castro Valley, California
Clary_Fray DIAMOND, Castro Valley, California

foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of the mind
-rwe

This book features a college Freshman, Noah, and his adoptive younger sister Lo, who struggles with her weight. They're staying at their grandmother's house over the summer; she loves to tell them stories about the fantastical selkies, and selkie girls being captured. Noah has an internship with a scientist, and lands his sister with a job there, too. One day after work, Noah's jogging along the seashore and hears a splash--he dives in to save the girl who he thinks has fallen. Only she doesn't need saving. 

Noah and the girl, Mara, begin to talk (and fall in love)... and when it's time for Mara to go, she dives back into the ocean.

What's Mara's secret?

Tides is a book that I couldn't put down. Romance, mystery, mystical presences and fairytales (possibly) come true. A real family thrown into dangerous secrets.

Not only is this a great book, but its writer, Betsy Cornwell, was a columnist and Editor for Teen Ink! How cool is that!?!

Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

Haha these things happen :)

-rwe

Goodness! I accidentally said "was an editor" and I meant she is!

Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)

Hey I've seen Betsy C. on our newsletteers, really cool!

EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia

To love is to be vulnerable; Triumph is born out of struggle; We notice shadows most when they stand alone in the midst of overwhelming light.

Yes! First off, I want to apologize that I haven't been looking at your other writings and not commenting that much. I took a break from Teen Ink, but that's a poor excuse. For that, I apologize. :( But, I want to jump up and down and do cart-wheels. Your writing has an editor's choice and it's on the front page of Teen Ink home. I'm truly happy you because you truly deserve it. :) What I love about this is that you told a lot about the book, but not a lot that you ruined the surprise inside the book. You kept it simple and straight to the point and you used or wrote it beautifully and with talent, making the reader want to read the book. You do have such a talent and greatness and light and beauty of your ow; and so much more. I am so honored and happy that I know you, for you are an amazing and talented and wonderful and beautiful writer and person. All of this and much more is true. :) Thank you so much for sharing this, my friend! Thank you, haha. Haha, now I want to read the book. :)