Hoop City by Scott Blumenthal | Teen Ink

Hoop City by Scott Blumenthal

By Amellion BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
Amellion BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana

Hoop City/Scott Blumenthal
Scobre Press
2003, 115 pp.

You play basketball, go to college, and next thing you know your brother has a basketball injury.  Then you want to give up and go back home just because you missed your brother. Would you leave college because you missed your brother?

Its’s about a teenage boy and his brother who both love basketball, but a couple of days later his brother’s leg broke when he played his basketball game. Mike had a mad face. Mike made it in college after his brother’s leg broke, every time mike would just think about his brother all day. So after a while at college he met a friend named Wilson, they became , but it all turned around when he thought about his brother one last time. He just gave up and said to Wilson “I’m leaving I just need to go back home to be with my brother.”

Wilson didn’t want that to happen because he wanted mike to be with him in the NBA, so mike started packing up and getting ready to leave until Wilson picked up his suitcase and flipped it over which made all of his clothes fall on the floor. Wilson told mike “I’m not letting you leave you got this far just to quit now.” Mike then said, “I’m still leaving.” So mike started packing his clothes again then Wilson dumped his clothes on the floor again.

Wilson then said, “Let’s play some basketball in gym.” They both agreed to go to the gym and play a game. So they got in the gym and saw a few friends so they played 6 player 21. But during the game mike broke his ankle and he had to go to the hospital for a week. He didn’t want to miss his first nba game. So a couple of days later he healed and could make it too his first NBA game, but he wanted his brother to be there with him because he couldn’t move his leg at all, he had no feeling in his leg. So when he got to his game he didn’t see his mother there and his brother, he’s  getting ready to tip until his mom walked through the door and behind her mikes brother tony. Tony’s  leg could move again mike had a happy face.

Yes the author did achieve his purpose because he wanted to persuade people . He wanted to persuade people because mike wanted to quit and give up but wilson came in and stopped it. So this purpose would be not give up.The writing in this book would be effective, but needs more powerful words to make it interesting. The commas, periods, and the capitalizations were all good.
The strengh of the book starts at the beginning but some of the weaknesses  are at the middle and end. The weaknesses start at his broken and without his broken leg it had a lot of strengh at that time.This book can be known as fiction, yes the author would be a expert in the area of study because he has a lot of details and description . A lot of times the author uses so much expression. And yea I do agree with the authors conclusion.I think this book can be pretty cool, I found this book to be interesting because I like alot of parts in this book. Im a huge fan of basketball, so you know that this bookwould be interesting, even the ending can be pretty good.I’m reccommending this book to my mom because she loved basketball a lot back then , I really love this book and I think she might be surprised by the first part and the last.

I really love this book I give it a 5 star, but some of your writing needs a littile bit more expression and emotion. But this book has details and description. I think you should read this book because some of it can be kind of sad. Hope you read this book and enjoy.