The Choice by Nicholas Sparks | Teen Ink

The Choice by Nicholas Sparks

December 17, 2008
By Anonymous

"If conversation was the lyrics, laughter was the music, making time spent together a melody that could be replayed over and over without getting stale."—The Choice


Nicholas Spark's The Choice is a captivating tale of two people and their journey to finding true and everlasting love. At first encounter, Gabby Holland (who had recently moved into the new small town and had yet to meet her neighbor properly) confronts Travis Parker in a heated fit over the fact that she believes his dog got hers pregnant. Because of her guilty conscience after lashing out at him, Gabby takes his advice by taking her dog to the local vet. To her utter embarrassment, she finds that her neighbor, Travis, was in fact, the doctor, and further learns that although her dog was pregnant, Travis's dog had been neutered therefore ruling his dog out.

Expecting a harboring grudge from Travis due to her unacceptable rudeness, Gabby is surprised when he asks her to go sailing with him along with some friends. From there on, the two of them become closer, building up a wonderful friendship that neither is to forget.

Travis had thought that he had it all. He never truly found love, and he thought that he didn't need it. He thought that his adventurous life full of the outdoors was enough for him. But after feelings towards his neighbor Gabby arise, he finds that he cannot see himself in the future without her by his side. His current lifestyle now just seemed an empty, lonely way to pass the time. After spending a blissful weekend with Gabby, letting all his true feelings pour out, he now has to wait on weather she will take the same step towards him, as he has taken with her.

For Gabby, things are a bit more complicated. The whole reason she had moved to the small town as to be closer to her boyfriend Kevin. Before meeting Travis, she thought that Kevin was her world; she truly believed that she loved him and wanted to be with him forever. But suddenly she is cast into a swirling whirlpool of confusion as her heart tugs at the thought of her neighbor. The more she spends time with Travis, the more she realizes just how much she cares for him. Then again, she knows that she will be happy with Kevin. She has spent so much time with him, and still loves him irrevocably. Travis, however, she had just met. What if the feelings she was harboring were just a spur-of-the-moment infatuation? She barley even knows him. If she chooses Travis over Kevin, she could very well be likely to loose one of the greatest things life has thrown at her.

This story will lure you into a mind-blowing world full of humor, love, angst, and sorrow. It will leave you thinking about its amazing journey days after you have put it down. The Choice is most definitely a must read that will absolutely blow you away. It surely is not one to disappoint.