Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater | Teen Ink

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

The novel I chose to read was Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater. It is a paranormal/romance/fantasy book that takes place in Mercy Falls, Minnesota. Abundances of native trees and shrubs surrounded the area, creating a town within a mysterious forest. Skyscraper-high pine trees touch the tip of the sky and grow thick and wide, making it an impenetrable barrier. Cool, frosty winds blow gracefully along the tow. Wolves stalk around, hunting and snatching any source of food they can find. That includes humans, too. Our main character, Grace, was captured and nearly mauled by a pack of wolves when she was just a toddler. Our other main character, Sam, happened to see this at the time, and stopped it before it was too late. As a wolf, that is. See, werewolves do exist in this world, and our friends Sam happens to be one of the few. It turns out that they transform into humans during the warm seasons, such as summer and spring, and return to their wolf bodies during winter and fall. But as they get older, their chances of turning into humans get slighter and slighter. Why does this affect Grace? She’s 17 now. She sees Sam one day, desperate for help as he is turning into human once again and needs shelter, food, and clothing. She takes him in… and falls in love with the boy. But time is running out. This heartwarming story turns a dark, cold winter into a romantic, surviving journey. I really feel this novel is fit for a lot of kids my age. They will understand the plot, mystery, and romantic side of it. I believe my peers would love this book, although it does seem a bit girly with the werewolf romance and all.