The Fault in OUr Stars by John Green | Teen Ink

The Fault in OUr Stars by John Green

July 30, 2014
By The_Book_Thief GOLD, Brownville, Nebraska
The_Book_Thief GOLD, Brownville, Nebraska
18 articles 0 photos 22 comments

Favorite Quote:
"And when you gaze long enough into the abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche


When I first read The Fault in Our Stars, I was slightly skeptical. None of my friends had recommended it, so that was one reason. Another was that my mom recommended it. I know that sounds bad, but I was delighted by the book.

The characters are an important part of any book for me. I need to be able to feel the personalities and understand the actions of the people. John Green did a superb job adding all those. Hazel felt like such a real person. She is selfless, humorous, funny, and so real. Augustus is chivalrous and funny.

The plot is brilliant. Green didn’t fill the book with blood, gore, and violence, which is nice, for a change. The book still captured me, and I could not put it down. As Hazel and Augustus develop a relationship and start to open up, the book gets better and better. The ending felt so powerful and desperately painful. It nearly brought me to tears.

I think the writing in this book is superb. John Green’s style is easy to understand and very good with connecting to the readers. It tied the plot and characters nicely with humor added whenever the book needed it. I know, it is really hard to make a book about cancer patients funny, but Green did it. He still caught the severity of the disease, but his writing made you feel humor at some parts and anguish at other ones.

Overall, this book is definitely worth reading. Everything fits so nicely, and I think that teen readers will definitely enjoy it. If you haven’t already read the book, please do. It is an awesome experience.

Another thing I would like to point out. This is not the happiest book in the world. There are parts that made me laugh for a minute straight, but the end is one of the saddest endings I have read. Trust me, if you want a happy, fairytale ending, this book isn’t the right one. It is still one of my favorites.

My last comment on this is one of caution. If you are expecting a book where there is a heartfelt rally to save the people with cancer, I am sorry to disappoint you. This is a realistic take on what a cancer patient goes through.