Winger by Andrew Smith | Teen Ink

Winger by Andrew Smith

By Leon La Jeunesse BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Leon La Jeunesse BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

Winger

If you ever want to know what it is like to be in the mind, life, and see the point of view from a teenage boy, this is where you should look. Winger, by Andrew Smith, is one quality book and will satisfy any reader who pick it up. The story takes you on several adventures of Ryan Dean West at his boarding school for rich kids with his friends, enemies, and frenemies. Andrew kept this book as an easy read as he makes you “laugh your butt off”, making readers around you give you weird looks. “Why is that guy laughing so hard from that book?” Yeah I got one of those once while reading this book. Winger is a must read for anyone who might be even the slightest bit intrigued as I was as it turned out to be one of my all time favorite books.

Ryan Dean West is a fifteen year old junior (yep he is that smart) in high school. He is attending a boarding school in California meant for rich kids who have gotten themselves in trouble a time or two so their parents ship them off there. He plays rugby earning him the nickname “Winger”, gets moved to the real trouble maker’s dorm “O-Hall”, and has a crush on one of his best friends. Throughout the book, you will see a normal teenage kid point of view on life and the many crazy scenarios he gets faced with. Any teenage boy and man can relate easily as Smith perfectly outlines the teenage dude in the most hysterical guy kind of way.

This book is the book of the American teenager. From getting swrillies, to getting into fights, and even failing at flirting, this book has everything you can ask for. This is on my list of all time best reads because of how relatable it is and the way it is just brutally honest. I honestly cannot rave enough about how awesome this book is and how it is the total “bro book”. You can sit here and read all I have to say about Winger and how I feel about it, or what I recommend is you go out there and find out how awesome it is for yourself.

Teacher made me.